App-V 5 SP2 support for 2012R2? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I just downloaded App-V 5 SP2, installed the new Client and Sequencer. Both running on servers installed with Server 2012R2, except for the App-V 5 Management en Publishing server. These are running on W2K12.

I just tried to sequence an application, and tried to publish it. But I'm getting these eventlogs on the App-V Management server:

"The client OS is unknown: WindowsServer_6.3_x64."

"The 'TargetOS' in package contains unsupported OS type. "

Is 2012R2 supported?

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 10:31 AM

Answers

All replies

• If I understand your problem correcly, you are trying to publish a sequenced application on a server?

You cannot install the workstation App-V client on a server, you have to use the RDS version instead.

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 10:36 AM
  • No, the client isn't installed on the App-V server. These logs appear in: Microsoft-AppV-Server-Publishing/Admin.
    Tuesday, December 3, 2013 10:45 AM
  • The propblem perhaps is that the App-V Management/Publishing servers perform an XML validation that does not (yet) include Win 8.1 / Win2012 R2. It is expected that the server bits will receive an update, too (not an SP, but maybe a Hotfix or so).

In between, when sequencing an application just make sure that you DO NOT select 8.1/2012R2 as a potential OS. Instead, choose the option to allow to run that package on any OS.

The bad news is that you can't modify this setting afterwards (well, at least this was true for the SP2 Beta Sequencer. This might have changed). So you might be required to re-sequence the application.

Frankly I'm not even sure if Gridmetric's AVE can adjust/change that setting

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

• Marked as answer by Alelieveld Tuesday, December 3, 2013 12:14 PM
    Tuesday, December 3, 2013 11:16 AM
  • The propblem perhaps is that the App-V Management/Publishing servers perform an XML validation that does not (yet) include Win 8.1 / Win2012 R2. It is expected that the server bits will receive an update, too (not an SP, but maybe a Hotfix or so).

In between, when sequencing an application just make sure that you DO NOT select 8.1/2012R2 as a potential OS. Instead, choose the option to allow to run that package on any OS.

The bad news is that you can't modify this setting afterwards (well, at least this was true for the SP2 Beta Sequencer. This might have changed). So you might be required to re-sequence the application.

Frankly I'm not even sure if Gridmetric's AVE can adjust/change that setting

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

Thanks!

Other question, do you know if the App-V 5 (SP2) Client is supported on a 2012 RDS server? Everytime when I run a "User Refresh" there is a event logged in Microsoft-AppV-Server-Publishing/Admin on the App-V Management server:

"The client OS is unknown: WindowsServer_6.3_x64."

When I run Sync-AppvPublishingServer on the 2012 RDS server I'm getting this error:

"Sync-AppvPublishingServer : Application Virtualization Service failed to complete requested operation.
    Operation attempted: RefreshPublishingServer.
    Windows Error: 0x801901F4 -
    Error module: Publishing. Internal error detail: 45500D27801901F4.
    Please consult AppV Client Event Log for more details.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Sync-AppvPublishingServer
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidResult: (:) [Sync-AppvPublishingServer], ClientException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : RefreshPublishingServerError,Microsoft.AppV.AppvClientPowerShell.SyncAppvPublishingServe
       r"

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 12:14 PM
  • Yes, it is supported (however you need the RDS client and not the 'desktop' client.  The error you are seeing is loged on the App-V server's log, so it potentially has the same cause as the first error you reported.

Falko

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 3:24 PM
  • We've been having major problems with this too. The 5.0 SP1 client used to work on our 8.1 machines, but with the SP2 client suddenly they all return:

Sync-AppvPublishingServer : Application Virtualization Service failed to complete requested operation.
    Operation attempted: RefreshPublishingServer.
    Windows Error: 0x801901F4 -
    Error module: Publishing. Internal error detail: 45500D27801901F4.
    Please consult AppV Client Event Log for more details.
    At line:1 char:28
    + Get-AppvPublishingServer | Sync-AppvPublishingServer
    +                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidResult: (:) [Sync-AppvPublishingServer], ClientException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : RefreshPublishingServerError,Microsoft.AppV.AppvClientPowerShell.SyncAppvPublishingServe

Also getting that error on the server. Worst part is, tried to remove the application from the App-V console, and the same errors are spamming the Publishing Server event log...

I've manually checked the database and made sure that the app doesn't even exist any more. No dice unfortunately. The server thinks its still there...

Hopefully this patch isn't too far away... Strange the new client and sequencer was released without the server update?

Monday, December 16, 2013 3:40 AM
  • Monday, December 16, 2013 7:23 AM
  • Hello,

The patch was previously announced here;

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e4ac97ce-3226-4825-b7c4-388b55687bb0/important-notes-regarding-the-appv-50-sp2-update?forum=mdopappv

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Hi,

Thanks! Just installed the hotfix. The App-V Client is now also working on 2012R2.

Monday, December 16, 2013 9:05 AM
  • Thanks for that, sorry I missed it. If the App-V team are reading this, it might help next time to add some of the error codes the patch addresses so it shows up in search results.

Unfortunately, this patch seems to only fix roughly 75% of our machines on 8.1 every other 5.0 SP2 client is fine (on non 8.1 OS) and completely fine with the 5.0 SP1 client.

Also we found that the patch messed up our IIS bindings causing the Publishing Service site not to start after the patch had been applied. An extra binding to port 443 was added without a host header or certificate. IIS refused to start the Publishing Service site without having removed that extra binding.

This same behaviour was noted on all three of our publishing servers. So something to look out for!

Hope this helps.

Monday, December 16, 2013 11:30 AM
  • Hi,

I fixed this issue by

1) Install hotfix KB2897087 - issue occurred after SP2 upgrade didn't recognise newer Oses,

2)I re-sequenced the packages selecting the option for the package to run on all OSes.

Hope this helps.

Simon

Thursday, June 5, 2014 9:27 AM
  • Sorry to dig up an old thread but this might help somebody else.

I encountered this issue with App-V 5.1 today...only on one of my publishing servers. I ensured HF1 and HF2 were installed on the servers. I still got the error. Restarting the web service didn't seem to resolve it. So I unregistered the publishing server in the console, rebooted the publishing server, registered it, rebooted again and on startup the XML was resolving correctly and the publishing server worked.

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Friday, July 15, 2016 7:45 PM