Secondary Site showing Inactive Clients RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I have 2 sites, one Primary and another Secondary. I am able to push out clients and applications fine from my primary site, the secondary site seems to have the clients and all is looking fine, but am not able to deploy. Also after a few days the clients are showing as Inactive. Could someone point me in the right direction of where to start looking and possible log files to look at as well?

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 4:27 PM

Answers

• FIXED! (with a lot of help by MS)

Problem was down to the machine account in SQL not working correctly, removed the Secondary Site server's computer name from SQL logins, waited a few seconds and recreated the same computeraccount login with sysadmin access, restarted the SMS Agent Host service on one test machine and then it started showing as ACTIVE, all the other clients checked in overnight and now all clients are showing as Active.

• Marked as answer by VKS19 Wednesday, June 5, 2013 3:26 PM
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 3:26 PM

All replies

• It sounds like you do not have your boundaries and boundary groups configured correctly to assign ALL of your network locations (subnets/ip ranges etc.) that your clients are sat in to your Primary Site (Secondary sites can not have clients assigned to them.)

My Personal Blog: http://madluka.wordpress.com

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 7:10 PM
  • I thought that the boundaries had to be configured so that the IP ranges and subnets for a particular site were added to the site server responsible for that site?

I might be wrong but i thought you never add same boundaries to the primary and secondary site?

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 3:14 PM
  • BUMP!
    Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:50 AM
  • It's funny you mentioning this as i've got exactly the same issue and have a call open at the moment with ms premier support about it.

What happens in my case is that the clients register and show in the console as having the client installed, but like you, a couple of days later the client shows as inactive.

When you look at the ClientIDManagerStartup log, does it show that the client is continually restarting itself about once a minute?  Mine keeps on trying to register, says it registered, then says its not registered so it shutdowns the ccmexec service and restarts it. 

After changing the boundary to point to the primary site instead, the clients work perfectly.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 11:30 AM
  • Hi, 

Strange.. i thought the SCCM secondary servers should be in their own boundary (assigned a site server to that boundary to handle tasks) shouldnt really have more than one boundary group cos then it creates overlapping issues, or am i mistaken?

We dont have MS Support so I am kinda screwed - need to justify a reason get a support agreement in place but firstly need to prove this works.

How are you getting on with the support side, please let me know how you got on?

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 12:24 PM
  • I reconfigured the existing boundaries that were assigned to the secondary purely for testing purposes to the primary, and all of a sudden things started working. It's nice that that works, so tells me the problem is with the secondary somehow, but as it takes the secondary out of the equation it's more like a temporary stopgap until we get the issue with whats happening with the secondary server.

On the support side, ms have been good.  I'm kinda stuck at the moment, MS want to do a full trace, so i need install the debugging tools on a server that has a client that reports as inactive.  As all our severs in the secondary boundary are customer production systems, we cant do that so i built a new test server and the flaming client works 100% with the secondary on it.  So im kinda waiting for that server to fail so i can then install the software and send a trace of a system not working.

• Edited by Timbo37 Wednesday, May 29, 2013 2:12 PM
    Wednesday, May 29, 2013 2:11 PM
  • FIXED! (with a lot of help by MS)

Problem was down to the machine account in SQL not working correctly, removed the Secondary Site server's computer name from SQL logins, waited a few seconds and recreated the same computeraccount login with sysadmin access, restarted the SMS Agent Host service on one test machine and then it started showing as ACTIVE, all the other clients checked in overnight and now all clients are showing as Active.

• Marked as answer by VKS19 Wednesday, June 5, 2013 3:26 PM
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 3:26 PM
  • Very interesting news, that's the first thing im going to attempt tomorrow in the office.  :-)
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 4:22 PM
  • Hi,

how did you get on? did it work for you?

Thursday, June 6, 2013 9:07 AM
  • Thank you. It worked like a charm.

I had a hardware failure on the secondary site server. The OS was reinstalled and so was the secondary site, however, clients would not update AV definitions and then started reporting as inactive.

Deleting the SQL login and recreating it solved the issue!

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 3:21 PM
  • can you tell us what you did exactly, I didn't get what SQL logins you removed the computers name from . thanks.
    Thursday, August 18, 2016 12:10 PM
  • I performed the steps on the secondary server DB but still getting the same error, Please help.
    Saturday, September 3, 2016 5:29 PM
  • Thank you for the post, could you please provide some more details about the sql logins? Where are  they configured? Are they configured on the sql DB for of the secondary site server?
    Friday, January 13, 2017 8:28 AM
  • Hi, The account would be the actual DB Server for ConfigMgr and would be found under logins.
    Friday, January 13, 2017 10:57 AM