User created Contact Lists RRS feed

• Question

• I have an employee who has created a custom contact list in Outlook 2010.  She uses Windows 7.   She also uses Windows Fax and Scan.  She would like to be able to access her custom Contact list via Windows Fax and Scan.  How can she do this?  I have setup her custom contact list to "show this folder as an e-mail Address Book"
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 2:12 PM

Answers

• Hi

You haven't mentioned Exchange, are you connected to an Exchange server?  This might explain why things are different.

If so when you click the to button the address book should appear as per the To button on an Email in Outlook.  This can be used to select any of the contacts created in Outlook with out the need to do the export import. The right hand drop down will list all contact sources the Contacts is the users Outlook contact folder.

I'm struggling to find anything specific to Vista, or anyone using it to question.  Fax and scan should have a Tools menu with Contacts as an Item, what happens when you select this?

G North MCT
    • Marked as answer by Nick Wan Monday, July 25, 2011 7:16 AM
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 2:56 PM

All replies

• You could forward all contacts to yourself as VCF files. Save all attachments into a folder. Got into the folder  %userprofile%\Contacts and click the button "Import". Select the vcf files you've just created.
    Friday, July 15, 2011 3:50 PM
  • Important!   Remember contacts exported and imported between applications are not linked so chnages to details in one system will not be reflected in the other. !

Another possible easier way, would be to export the all the contacts from the folder to a .CSV (comma seperated values) file and use that as the source of the  Import for Windows Fax and Scan Contaacts.

You'll find Export in the Outlook Options, File -> Options ->Advanced -> Export. It uses a Wizard to guide you through the process.

Then in Fax and Scan, create a new Fax, Click the Contacts button and use the import button to import the contacts from the file created in your export.  Alternatively navigate to the Contact folder in Explorer the import button will be visible in the command ribbon.

Hope this helps

G North MCT

• Edited by G North Friday, July 15, 2011 6:55 PM Added missin info
    Friday, July 15, 2011 6:48 PM
  • Thanks.  This works with Outlook 2010 and WFS.   Unfortunately, the person who needs this is using Outlook 2007 and Windows Fax and Scan on Vista Business.   I could not correlate this with Outlook 2007.  Is there a similar procedure?
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 9:22 PM
  • I'm sorry your post pointed me in the wrong direction.

Exporting the contacts as csv is similar in Outlook 2007, infact appart from where the command is it hasn't changed in quite a few versions.

I cannot verify the Vista side of things, but would think that the first method using Windows Fax and Scan will get you to the correct point from which you can import your csv file.

G North MCT
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 10:00 PM
  • The Outlook side was similar.  I just could not find a way to Import in Vista Windows Fax and Scan.
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 11:30 PM
  • Hi

You haven't mentioned Exchange, are you connected to an Exchange server?  This might explain why things are different.

If so when you click the to button the address book should appear as per the To button on an Email in Outlook.  This can be used to select any of the contacts created in Outlook with out the need to do the export import. The right hand drop down will list all contact sources the Contacts is the users Outlook contact folder.

I'm struggling to find anything specific to Vista, or anyone using it to question.  Fax and scan should have a Tools menu with Contacts as an Item, what happens when you select this?

G North MCT
    • Marked as answer by Nick Wan Monday, July 25, 2011 7:16 AM
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 2:56 PM
  • thanks much.  It works now
    Monday, July 25, 2011 6:49 PM