How can I add a redirect port, or RPT port, in Windows 7? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm dumbfounded.  I know in Windows XP there was an option to add a printer and select the redirection port.  Seems in Windows 7, or at least my installation, that option is missing.  I need to be able to add a redirect port to setup some specialized printing we do here in our office.  Hope my question makes sense and I hope I have just missed something and it's really just not that it's not possible or I'm screwed!

Also I have tried the "Add New Port Type" options and it asks for a driver which I can't seems to find anywhere.  Any help is much appreciated as this has halted my Windows 7 roll out.

Monday, October 3, 2011 1:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you are trying to add a network printer in Windows 7, I suggest you refer to the following article:

Install a printer

Regarding your issue, you need install the driver for printer, some drivers ship with Windows; in other case, you need install drivers using a CD or DVD provided by the printer manufacturer. Or if you don't have a CD or DVD, try searching the printer manufacturer's website to see if you can download and install it from there.

Alex Zhao

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 6:17 AM
  • This is not a network printer.  I need the capabilities that were in Windows XP, that allow for a printer to be redirected to a program, or RPT port, with parameters, to be setup on a Windows 7 machine.
    John C Dixon III
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 4:23 PM
  • Hi,

Do you mean in Windows XP, we can add a new port in File-> Server Properties-> Ports-> Add Ports?

If this is the issue, please see the information below:

====================================

In Windows 7, we have no Server Properties options. But we can also achieve the same goal by using the following two methods:

Method 1: Right click one of the local printers and select Printer Properties. Click Ports-> Add Port…

Method 2: In Control Panel, click Administrative Tool and select Print Management. Then open Print Servers and select the local machine. Then right click Ports and click Add Ports…

Hope this can have a little help.

Best regards,
    Spencer Shi

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 2:28 AM
  • I'm replying to this old thread because I followed the same path, and got stuck with the same questions. So here is what I think is the spoiler: There is no "native" redirection port in Windows 7. This type of printer port is provided by add-on software. AKA: install a printer driver.

However, in reading about Ghostscript's ability to act like a printer there is a open-source redirection printer driver available from UWisc : http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/redmon/ - The redirection monitor. I know I hate clogging up my system with more and more software packages, but this package provides exactly the capability you were and I am searching for.

Cheers! -MpH

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 9:50 PM