mount program files on a different folder RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I would like to setup Windows Vista with the following approach:

- C drive (SSD) for SYSTEM only
    - D drive (SATA) for Program Files & Documents

I would like to have this setup transparent so that future installed software resides on the D drive automatically.
    Is it possible to do this with mounting?

many thanks

K. Honsali
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 11:09 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Both Program Files and Documents should be located on the default installation path and we could separate them from the system in the process of installation.

However I provide some walk-around here to meet your requirement.

1. Install the whole system on C: partition.

2. Find your Documents folder in C:\Users\<Account name>, right-click it and select Properties. In Location tab, change the path to D: partition.

3. Manually create a Program Files folder on D: partition and install the third-party software into that folder.

Hope it helps!

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Thursday, March 19, 2009 8:44 AM
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 8:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Both Program Files and Documents should be located on the default installation path and we could separate them from the system in the process of installation.

However I provide some walk-around here to meet your requirement.

1. Install the whole system on C: partition.

2. Find your Documents folder in C:\Users\<Account name>, right-click it and select Properties. In Location tab, change the path to D: partition.

3. Manually create a Program Files folder on D: partition and install the third-party software into that folder.

Hope it helps!

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Thursday, March 19, 2009 8:44 AM
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 8:35 AM
  • Thank you very much for your quick reply,

Step 2 is very fine and solves the Users issues,
    As for Step 3, I would like to be able to redirect Program installation to D drive automatically, instead of specifying it at every installation process. Is it possible ?
    My understanding of the mounting is that it can redirect files to the mountet directory/drive if the original directory/drive is full. I was thinking of setting C:\Program Files  folder to have a very small quota or disk space limitation, thus obliging every new program installation to be redirected to the Program Files @ D . But I couldn't find a description on how to do it for Vista.

Best regards,
    K. Honsali

Sunday, March 15, 2009 2:40 PM
  • Hello jp.honsali,
    I would not do this.  There is not a supported option to redirect program files to a volume other than the one that Windows is installed to. 
    Doing so would more than likely cause future issues with the OS. 
    In particular, servicing would probably have issues so OS updates may not install. This would include updates like security updates and service packs if the components in those updates touched c:\program files, which a large number of components do use.
    Other functionality and applications could be affected as well with the relocation.
    Thanks, Darrell Gorter[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 12:42 AM