none
VM backup allow for file level recovery? RRS feed

• Question

• If I have the Protection Agent installed on a vm guest will I be able to restore at file level if I backup the VM?

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 3:36 PM

Answers

• Essentially if you install the protection agent on the VM itself then it'll allow you to protect and restore file system objects (volumes/folders/files/shares) directly. If you don't install the agent on the VM but rather protect it using the Host level backup then that allows you to perform Item-Level Recovery for files which are within the VHD of the VM.

If the above suggested answer does not help in resolving the thread please re-open it.

Cheers, Tyler F [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, June 3, 2011 9:07 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, but you must have the Hyper-V role enabled on the DPM server to perform item-level recoveries.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff634221.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff634207.aspx

Thanks,

Marc

• Proposed as answer by MarcReynolds Monday, May 9, 2011 1:46 PM
    • Marked as answer by T FrankeModerator Friday, May 20, 2011 6:55 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Carltonw1 Sunday, May 22, 2011 2:31 PM
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 5:10 PM
  • If the suggested answer does not help in resolving this thread then please re-open it.
    Cheers, Tyler F [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, May 20, 2011 6:55 PM
  • Hi,

Your Q) If I have the Protection Agent installed on a vm guest will I be able to restore at file level if I backup the VM?

Yes, If you have a DPM agent installed inside the Guest but are only doing Host level backup (agent installed on the host) - then you can perform item level restores of files inside the protected VHD back to the running guest, or any machine that has a DPM agent installed on it.

But as Marc mentioned, before you can do ILR you need to have the Hyper-V role enabled on the DPM server itself.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 10:51 PM
  • Essentially if you install the protection agent on the VM itself then it'll allow you to protect and restore file system objects (volumes/folders/files/shares) directly. If you don't install the agent on the VM but rather protect it using the Host level backup then that allows you to perform Item-Level Recovery for files which are within the VHD of the VM.

If the above suggested answer does not help in resolving the thread please re-open it.

Friday, June 3, 2011 9:07 PM