none
Upgrading corporate machines from Windows 10 1511 to 1607

Question

• We don't use SCCM.

We don't use WSUS.

We use a product called Radia for patching and image deployment.  (We will figure out the Radia particulars with the vendor and internally.)

These upgrades reset things like Application Associations, Start Menu pins, provisioned "Metro" apps.  Meaning I'm probably going to have to chase each upgrade with PowerShell scripts to set it all back.

For now I'm just curious how other shops that don't use SCCM or WSUS, are deploying these Windows 10 "upgrades".

• How are you dealing with the reset to customization (wallpaper, start menu, app associations, etc) on existing profiles?
    • How are you deploying the upgrades? Through a patch management solution or as a packaged application?

Any other tips / tricks you've used to automate this process?

Thanks!

-Matt

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Monday, March 6, 2017 8:41 PM

All replies

• Dear Matt,

The situation you described is a normal phenomenon, our customize configurations do will be reset after upgrade.

Without SCCM, WSUS, WDS, MDT(Microsoft deploy tools), what I can think of is in-place upgrade, you need to put the iso image file of Windows 10 1607 into a share place, everyone in your company can get it, then use it to upgrade system.

In fact, there is a Microsoft TechNet forum, I don’t think engineers here prefer to choose other third-party tool to deploy Windows rather than Microsoft’s product.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 7:35 AM
  • Thanks, and I'm not looking for guidance specific to a 3rd party product.

Radia OSM works similar to MDT and SCCM, (Image-X/DISM).  So I just need to understand the processes and mechanisms used by others so I can duplicate it in this product.

So in MDT / SCCM, are others creating an OS install task sequence and re-applying the customization there through an in place upgrade?

What about when installed via WSUS?

Thanks,

-Matt

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 4:31 PM
  • What I've discovered so far.

Windows 10 1607 upgrade from WSUS will preserve current users settings.  Kinda.

New user profiles require that scrips be ran after the upgrade to:

• Drop the new LayoutModification.xml
    • Remove the old Task Bar registry modification for default user.
    • Re-uninstall / un-provision unwanted "Metro" apps.
    • Replace default wall paper files.
    • Reset Default Applications

Is this consistent with everyone's experience?  What methods are you using to make sure this is applied after the upgrade is delivered from WSUS?

Thanks,

-Matt

Thursday, March 16, 2017 2:57 PM