Black screen with mouse cursor RRS feed

• Question

• I have hp ENVY 23, with win 8, i5, 8GB, when I start the computer I see the hp sign then the turning circle of windows turns for a while, then the screen becomes black with the sound of windows start, I can move and see the mouse cursor, but nothing else, the screen is black, I tried when I press start to press repeatedly ESC, F8,F9,F10,F11 to enter the boot mode but I only had a screen says that window detected stuck key for few seconds then it continues to windows start with black screen, I tried also to disconnect the electricity, press start button for 15 seconds, nothing changed, any idea how to regain control of the computer.
    Sunday, May 29, 2016 2:44 AM

Answers

• A way that is quick extreme to get the boot options is too power off during early boot twice. So start with the spinning dots showing hold the power until off. Start again do the same again hold power during early boot. Third time let it boot and Windows detecting the start-up issues will show the recovery menu so that at least should give options to start troubling shooting.
    • Marked as answer by zmarachi Tuesday, May 31, 2016 9:07 PM
    Sunday, May 29, 2016 12:06 PM

All replies

• A way that is quick extreme to get the boot options is too power off during early boot twice. So start with the spinning dots showing hold the power until off. Start again do the same again hold power during early boot. Third time let it boot and Windows detecting the start-up issues will show the recovery menu so that at least should give options to start troubling shooting.
    • Marked as answer by zmarachi Tuesday, May 31, 2016 9:07 PM
    Sunday, May 29, 2016 12:06 PM
  • Hi zmarachi,

we could do the same again hold power as Mr Happy said. Then I recommend to check this issue in Safe mode, consider this issue can also be caused by graphic card driver, remove in safe mode and restart to get it reinstalled. Please check the link below how to get into Safe Mode in Windows 8.1 about if You can’t boot to the login screen

http://www.howtogeek.com/107511/how-to-boot-into-safe-mode-on-windows-8-the-easy-way/

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Also, please see if the ctrl +alt +del work to open task manager, restart explorer.exe.

If not work, we could check if there is a recovery menu on the screen. we could repair the installation with the recovery media.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, May 30, 2016 12:01 PM
  • Thank you for the advice, it worked, and I'm in control now
    Tuesday, May 31, 2016 9:08 PM
  • Hi zmarachi,

Glad to hear that you have found a solution and thank you for sharing it here, it will be helpful to other community members who have same questions.

Best regards,

Carl Fan

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 1:34 AM