White screen at login RRS feed

• Question

• when i login to my computer (normally) the screen turns white and becomes completely unresponsive. Ive tried opening a task manager, but the task manager seems to be opening behind the white screen and is quite useless. Ive been able to circumvent this problem with very minor success by hitting the power button on my tower to initiate a shutdown. the problematic program closes and there is a split second window where i can cancel shutdown, after which, everything functions normally. every time i do this, though, it requires me to be a little faster.

i have attempted to run a virus scan using microsoft security essentials. it located some problems that i quarantined, however the problem still persists at login.

i have attempted to login in safe mode, however my computer shuts down automatically as soon as i log into safe mode.

i have attempted to run a System Restore, however the process terminates itself and says "An unspecified error occurred during System Restore (0x80070002)"

I am out of ideas, can anyone help?
    Saturday, May 18, 2013 4:51 PM

Answers

• Try repairing windows.

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, May 18, 2013 6:10 PM
  • Hi,

At a guess you have the Ransomware that is going about. Essentially this virus installs on the PC and holds it ransom asking you to pay some money with a pic of you on the screen (If you have a webcam)

The white screen is common where (a) the virus has not fully installed of (b) if the PC cannot see an internet connection

Either way, you can get around it.

(Note: This fix will prevent you from accessing your old profile but you can get your files back)

1. Boot Up PC and Press F8 on boot to bring up startup options

2. Select Safe Mode with command prompt

- This may look like its going to boot into windows (depending on OS) please proceed and login as you will NOT get white screen, instead you will get command prompt.

3. At the command prompt run the following command    net user rescue abc123 /add

- This will create an account for you called "Rescue" with password abc123

4. Reboot the PC and allow it to start normally.

5. You should have 2 accounts displayed, your own account and this new Rescue account - Log into rescue with password abc123

- The white screen issue should no longer exist

6. Open My Computer and browse to the users folder (may differ between OS) and find your old user account. You can view all your files and pictures here.

OPTIONAL

7. Create a new user on the PC to replace your old profile. (e.g. JohnDoe1) and set a password. Make it an administrator

- DO NOT DELETE YOUR OLD ACCOUNT YET

8. Reboot the computer and log in under your new account (e.g. JohnDoe1) and go to Control Panel / Users

9. Remove/Delete the account Rescue (we are now finished with that, and its a good idea to delete this as its a weak password)

10. Create a folder on your desktop and call it Backup

11. Navigate to your old user account in My Computer, C Drive, Users

12. Copy the files you require from your old profile to your backup folder on desktop.

- NOTE - Do not copy system folders like desktop, documents, Just copy individual files - Depending on what the virus has attached itself to, you may be copying it back to your healthy profile.

13. When you are confident you have all the files you need, then you can delete the old account in Control Panel/Users - WARNING, THIS WILL DELETE ALL DATA ASSOCIATED WITH THE OLD ACCOUNT SO BE SURE TO COMPLETE STEP 11 and 12

14. Get yourself a good antivirus package. Microsoft Security Essentials is good and free, however if you have your own preferred solution, make sure its working and up to date.

Best Regards,

M

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)

Sunday, May 19, 2013 2:28 PM

All replies

• something like this?? http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/db44f451-f531-4553-96b7-b29e5388613e

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, May 18, 2013 5:27 PM
  • no. the login screen appears just fine, its after login that the white screen comes up, preventing me from interacting with anything on my computer
    Saturday, May 18, 2013 5:39 PM
  • Try repairing windows.

Saturday, May 18, 2013 6:10 PM
  • Hi,

At a guess you have the Ransomware that is going about. Essentially this virus installs on the PC and holds it ransom asking you to pay some money with a pic of you on the screen (If you have a webcam)

The white screen is common where (a) the virus has not fully installed of (b) if the PC cannot see an internet connection

Either way, you can get around it.

(Note: This fix will prevent you from accessing your old profile but you can get your files back)

1. Boot Up PC and Press F8 on boot to bring up startup options

2. Select Safe Mode with command prompt

- This may look like its going to boot into windows (depending on OS) please proceed and login as you will NOT get white screen, instead you will get command prompt.

3. At the command prompt run the following command    net user rescue abc123 /add

- This will create an account for you called "Rescue" with password abc123

4. Reboot the PC and allow it to start normally.

5. You should have 2 accounts displayed, your own account and this new Rescue account - Log into rescue with password abc123

- The white screen issue should no longer exist

6. Open My Computer and browse to the users folder (may differ between OS) and find your old user account. You can view all your files and pictures here.

OPTIONAL

7. Create a new user on the PC to replace your old profile. (e.g. JohnDoe1) and set a password. Make it an administrator

- DO NOT DELETE YOUR OLD ACCOUNT YET

8. Reboot the computer and log in under your new account (e.g. JohnDoe1) and go to Control Panel / Users

9. Remove/Delete the account Rescue (we are now finished with that, and its a good idea to delete this as its a weak password)

10. Create a folder on your desktop and call it Backup

11. Navigate to your old user account in My Computer, C Drive, Users

12. Copy the files you require from your old profile to your backup folder on desktop.

- NOTE - Do not copy system folders like desktop, documents, Just copy individual files - Depending on what the virus has attached itself to, you may be copying it back to your healthy profile.

13. When you are confident you have all the files you need, then you can delete the old account in Control Panel/Users - WARNING, THIS WILL DELETE ALL DATA ASSOCIATED WITH THE OLD ACCOUNT SO BE SURE TO COMPLETE STEP 11 and 12

14. Get yourself a good antivirus package. Microsoft Security Essentials is good and free, however if you have your own preferred solution, make sure its working and up to date.

Best Regards,

M

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)

Sunday, May 19, 2013 2:28 PM