Edge not handling printers properly - defaults and user codes RRS feed

• Question

• (hoping this is the right spot...)

I installed 10 Pro on an office workstation as a sort of canary for widescale upgrades, and I've run into a problem with printing.

We use Savin printers in our offices (rebranded Ricoh MP C4503's if you're curious), and I cannot get Edge to print to them.  They're configured to default to monochrome printing, and to popup a window for a user code.  Edge is defaulting to color, and though the user code window opens and allows me to enter a code normally, it never gets passed to the printer.

I'm using the latest (Win 10) driver for the printer.  I can print test pages, from Office, from other browsers, and from the photo preview without trouble.  

We did have a similar problem with google Chrome a few years back when they first introduced their new printing interface, which we had to disable in order to make sure users printed using the system dialog.  

Monday, August 3, 2015 5:00 PM

Answers

• Telling us to use IE instead is NOT an answer....how do I get the "three dot" menu to appear when it is not visible?

By the way....why is there no history on the back button as in IE?

Hi,

Internet Explorer still exists in Windows 10 in order to resolve some incompatible issue in Microsoft Edge.

And yes, there is no drop down list when you right click back or forward button as Internet Explorer. It only could back or forward one page every time in sequence.

I suggest you submit this feedback via the built-in Feedback App. Although the design meets the most users' needs, however it is still not perfect. Please be assured that any improvements in the product are based on users' requirements. Our developers strive to capture Microsoft users' ideas and are working hard to create a more powerful and easy-to-use product.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Karen Hu Monday, August 17, 2015 3:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by EMMmmmmmm Friday, August 28, 2015 7:59 AM
    Monday, August 17, 2015 3:11 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you give us a screenshot to explain your issue? Any error message when you attempt to print?

Meanwhile, print to Microsoft XPS or Microsoft print to PDF to check the result.

In addition, please check the print settings to see if any option to change the color.

If no, please open the page in Internet Explorer instead to print:

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 6:33 AM
  • I'm not sure a screenshot would be relevant.  Printing works as ususal - no options missing, printing to a file works, printing to printers that don't need a code works.  

Color/monochrome selection is there, but it is not set according to the driver defaults.  It should default to B&W as per the driver but defaults to color.

The code issue is a little more complicated, so let me sum up.  Every user has a printer code so we can track color prints.  The driver for the printers can be setup to pop open a simple combobox prompting for their user code.  That's how we setup our multi-user workstations.  On personal or staff machines, we don't have it pop a prompt for a code, it gets set in the driver's default properties instead.  In that later case, printing from Edge works properly, in the former, the code is never passed to the printer.

Opening in IE does work for printing.  The code is passed and the system dialog reads the defaults normally.  It's only a problem when Edge's new printing system has to deal with the code prompt.  

My theory is that Edge prints using a system within its sandbox, and the popup launches outside the sandbox in normal userspace, preventing Edge from interacting with it.

Thursday, August 6, 2015 5:48 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your sharing your view. So far, I recommend you use the Internet Explorer as a workaround.

In addition, you could use F12 to trace the activity to see if there is any clue.

• Proposed as answer by Karen Hu Monday, August 17, 2015 3:05 AM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2015 8:39 AM
  • Telling us to use IE instead is NOT an answer....how do I get the "three dot" menu to appear when it is not visible?

Friday, August 14, 2015 3:13 PM

Hi,

Internet Explorer still exists in Windows 10 in order to resolve some incompatible issue in Microsoft Edge.

And yes, there is no drop down list when you right click back or forward button as Internet Explorer. It only could back or forward one page every time in sequence.

I suggest you submit this feedback via the built-in Feedback App. Although the design meets the most users' needs, however it is still not perfect. Please be assured that any improvements in the product are based on users' requirements. Our developers strive to capture Microsoft users' ideas and are working hard to create a more powerful and easy-to-use product.

• Proposed as answer by Karen Hu Monday, August 17, 2015 3:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by EMMmmmmmm Friday, August 28, 2015 7:59 AM
    Monday, August 17, 2015 3:11 AM
  • mltorley,

Did you ever find a resolution to this issue?  I have the exact same issue.  None of the Windows 10 universal apps will pass the User Code to the copier to authenticate, unless I hard code it in the printer queue (which defeats the purpose of tracking color printing on shared computers).

Using Ricoh Aficio MP C3502 copier and the Ricoh Aficio MP C3502 PCL 6 printer driver.  I used Ricoh's driver editor software to create a printer driver installer that has the User Code pop-up enabled (only way I could get it to pop-up).

Monday, April 10, 2017 9:51 PM