none
Upgrade Mobo and Processor

Question

• Hi,

I have a home network, 1 windows 2012 essential server ( evaluation version and 1 windows 10 pc. I am upgrading my gaming PC which mean I will have a motherboard and i5-2550 , 8gig ram which would just sit in the closet. I currently have AMD A8 7600 in my server so was thinking of just swapping them out as the processor seems to be better.

Will there be any problem with  me doing this. I don;t know much about networks/servers etc.. but I seem to remember awhile back that changing a processor isn't a straight forward process in terms of the Windows Server. Though I think I am going back many years when I heard this.

Just checking if I can basically just swap out the mobo with components and bobs yer uncle

Cheers

Steve

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 12:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

To replace hardware for Windows Server and Windows Client system, the first thing to consider is compatibility between hardware(including driver) and OS edition, and the compatibility between hardware(including driver) and other hardware.

Also, main part of hardware replacement, such as motherboard, may have effect on system activation. For OEM version, please contact device provider and confirm with them about the system activation after replacing hardware. If it is not OEM version, you can re-active system via phone(run “slui 4” to open telephone activation wizard).

Besides, please backup system and important data before any change. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 23, 2017 6:53 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 27, 2017 1:39 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if the reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 1:54 AM