Windows 10 registry issues? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a VB6 app that reads/writes information to the windows registry.  everything works fine on every version of windows up to windows 10.  On windows 10, I have had the occasional issue (sometimes after windows 10 updates) where the app cannot read/write to the registry key (under hkey_local_machine).   One time the user account had to be deleted and recreated to give me access to the registry key.  The other I was able to run the app as the administrator once and then revert to running it without administrator privileges and that seemed to fix the issue with writing to the registry.  Why does this happen?  How can it be prevented?  Thanks for any help.
    Thursday, September 22, 2016 1:00 PM

Answers

• if your app is writing to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software, it must have been redirected for a standard user since Windows Vista: 
    Registry Virtualization
    so values written by an administrator are not always seen by all users.

Do you get an error when writing, or do you get other values then you expect when reading?
    Thursday, September 22, 2016 6:56 PM
  • Hi,

Windows 10 has some improvements in security aspect, it may lead to your VB6 app meet with permission issue on reading registry. Due to limited condition, we can’t test for you, I think you can use Process Monitor to capture process for analysis.

According to the content of your post, you have found out a workaround, run it as administrator in advance, that’s good.

Process Monitor v3.31

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processmonitor.aspx

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, September 24, 2016 5:48 AM

All replies

• if your app is writing to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software, it must have been redirected for a standard user since Windows Vista: 
    Registry Virtualization
    so values written by an administrator are not always seen by all users.

Do you get an error when writing, or do you get other values then you expect when reading?
    Thursday, September 22, 2016 6:56 PM
  • Hi,

Windows 10 has some improvements in security aspect, it may lead to your VB6 app meet with permission issue on reading registry. Due to limited condition, we can’t test for you, I think you can use Process Monitor to capture process for analysis.

According to the content of your post, you have found out a workaround, run it as administrator in advance, that’s good.

Process Monitor v3.31

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processmonitor.aspx

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, September 24, 2016 5:48 AM