SCVMM network location RRS feed

• Question

• What is the real meaning of this and how can I add a network location since there is only Not Specified and there  is not an option to create a network location thank you
    Friday, April 2, 2010 3:04 PM

Answers

• The network location field on Virtual Network Adapter in VMs/Templates is used by VMM to determine which Host (and Virtual Network on it) satisfy the network connectivity requirements of a VM. Once a host is added to VMM, it determines the "network location" field for physical network adapters on the host. Virtual Networks connected to this physical NIC also get the same "network location" property.

So when you want to create a new vm, scvmm uses the network location and tag property specified on the NIC on the VM to determine the right host for this VM. Once a host is chosen by the user, SCVMM picks the virtual network(s) on host that match the location/tag requirement of the VM NIC.

Thanks

posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. User assumes all
    Friday, April 2, 2010 7:01 PM
  • From GUI you can click on Host Properties, go to Network Adapter and override the NetworkLocation. Is there a reason you want to do this? Is SCVMM not finding the right NetworkLocation for the physical network adapters on your host?

posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. User assumes all
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 2:44 AM

All replies

• The network location field on Virtual Network Adapter in VMs/Templates is used by VMM to determine which Host (and Virtual Network on it) satisfy the network connectivity requirements of a VM. Once a host is added to VMM, it determines the "network location" field for physical network adapters on the host. Virtual Networks connected to this physical NIC also get the same "network location" property.

So when you want to create a new vm, scvmm uses the network location and tag property specified on the NIC on the VM to determine the right host for this VM. Once a host is chosen by the user, SCVMM picks the virtual network(s) on host that match the location/tag requirement of the VM NIC.

Thanks

Friday, April 2, 2010 7:01 PM
  • See my blog article The purpose of SCVMM Network Location and Tag

alex perez
    Friday, April 2, 2010 10:31 PM
  • Thank you all but how do I configure different network locations for physical network adapters by using the GUI only if possible ?
    Saturday, April 3, 2010 3:27 AM
  • From GUI you can click on Host Properties, go to Network Adapter and override the NetworkLocation. Is there a reason you want to do this? Is SCVMM not finding the right NetworkLocation for the physical network adapters on your host?

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 2:44 AM
  • not really but I did want to know about creating network locations as all I have done on my new virtual machines is connecting them to the virtual network but under connection requirements network location and network tag have been left Not specified.
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 5:29 AM