Mirroring across farms in separate data centers RRS feed

• Question

• We are looking to set up database mirroring to a separate SharePoint 2007 farm. I have found resources regarding database mirroring withing the same farm (MS white papers) but nothing on how to set up and configure SharePoint in a separate farm with mirrored databases.

We have the SQL knowledge in terms of setting up the mirroring itself, and understand the limitations on which databases can be mirrored and which need to be set up/managed within the back up data center.

What I am unclear about is how to set up and configure SharePoint to work with/connect to mirrored databases and the sequencing of events. If anyone knows of any resources that can help, I would be very grateful. Many thanks.
    Friday, January 6, 2012 6:09 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

Sharepoint has a process known as content deployment that does mirroring of contents between farms.

To know more refer this:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jackiebo/archive/2007/02/26/content-deployment-step-by-step-tutorial.aspx

I hope this will help you out

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 4:25 AM
  • Hi qaaweb,

A couple of things apply here:

SharePoint (pre-2010 SharePoint, that is) is not failover aware, there is no automatic provision to automatically fail it over along with a SQL mirror or SQL Log Shipping failover. Not to say it can't be done - it is done all the time, but the actual SharePoint failover is manual in the 2007 version.

Additionally, while you can mirror/log ship a farm, what you can't do is have two copies of the same farm active at once and log ship/mirror content back and forth between them.

So there are only two other options:

1. Do content deployment as Rahul has already stated (but understand that this is a one way trip). The originating side publishes information to the destination, which is otherwise read-only, this is not a two-way street and will corrupt if you try to make it so.

2. Use a two-way replication tool, such as those created by AvePoint, Syntergy, or Repliweb (sorry if I omitted some, it's late). These tools go in via the object model and provide a way to replicate content either manually, automatically, or rule-based.

Hope this helps,

Troy Lanphier -- MCT/MCSE/MCITP SharePoint Server 2010 Administration -- Author: Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010 Inside Out -- http://blog.sharepointcookbook.com
    Sunday, January 8, 2012 5:01 AM
  • Additionally, while you can mirror/log ship a farm, what you can't do is have two copies of the same farm active at once and log ship/mirror content back and forth between them.

Troy Lanphier -- MCT/MCSE/MCITP SharePoint Server 2010 Administration -- Author: Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010 Inside Out -- http://blog.sharepointcookbook.com

Thanks Troy

Our ultimate aim is to have 2 idenitical server farms at separate data centers and have global load balancing between the two. There will be a primary data center, to which content changes will be made and the plan was to mirror these content databases to the secondary data center (one way only). From your quote above, are you saying that this in not going to work? They will be on separate domains, and load balancing (and server awareness) will be a hardware/software solution outside of SharePoint.

Re Content Deployment - I had heard via a SharePoint partner we have been working with that this is not very reliable. Is it more stable than we have been led to believe?

I guess I am still a little unsure on how to set up SharePoint 2007 on the second data center. The link on Rahul's post describes using Content Deployment on the same farm and a different web app. Do I go for a completely clean install - new server farm -  and look at the mirroring/content deployment config after?

Thanks again, Chris

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 2:34 PM
  • Hi qaaweb,

So a little background might help here -

Content Deployment is an automated process that happens between a collaborative site where content is produced (source) and a portal where it is published (destination), either immediately or on a schedule. This is indeed a one-way process, intended to have no collaboration or content changes occurring manually on the destination. This process is often used to generate content intended for public consumption on an internet site (although it could, as Rahul describes, occur on a different internal web application). So this option is out if you are looking to have content being produced on the two different farms. Content Deployment can indeed be problematic, but has been greatly improved since SharePoint 2007 RTM, and as I understand it, this tool is even better in 2010 (although I've had no client using it, most of my clients are still setting up intranets).

Unfortunately, that's about all of the story, whether it's for 2007 or 2010. While it is possible to federate farms together to share Service Applications, etc., I don't believe there is any out-of-the-box solution for replicating content between two distinct farms.

What I can tell you is that a lot of the third-party tools on the market have been around for quite a long time. Some of these products have been around since the 2003 version of SharePoint and are well-regarded. I'd recommend that you have a look at these products, keeping in mind whether or not you want content replicated manually or via rules, one-way or two-way. I know that some of these have a solid claim to replication for the purpose of load balancing.

Thanks

Saturday, January 14, 2012 3:18 AM