5 seconds delay on starting app-v application RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

Is there any way to get rid of the 5 sec delay when starting a app-v application?
    We are running on 2008 TS servers and the app-v application share is on a 2003 R2 Server

Kind regards,

Hans Oele
    Friday, October 9, 2009 7:33 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Suggested actions;
    1. Read the following whitepaper;
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/7/8/f784a197-73be-48ff-83da-4102c05a6d44/AppPubandClientInteraction.docx
    2. try different applications, online / offline mode - different machine configurations
    3. Determine what can be learned from the above and create different actions to create a faster start-up

In the documentations forum I have posted a linked to TS best-practice environment. Perhaps this could be applied aswell?

I would also read the blogs.technet.com/softgrid and sequencing whitepaper as there are loads of permformance considerations to be read from there.

/Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, October 13, 2009 9:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 1:57 PM
    Friday, October 9, 2009 9:17 AM
  • Do you have virtual services in the package?

Any such service, set to autostart, will delay start of the actual application by amount of what they use for starting up (or starting and then failing after timeout). If I recall correctly, those won't be displayed in the log file so you cannot readily see it's because of it.. but I have witnessed a package (some software from Adobe's CS3 suite) that had 2-3 autostarting virtual services delaying launch up to 1 minute and after setting those services to either manual or disabled, application launched normally.

br,
    Kalle
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 9:43 AM

All replies

• Hello,

well - exactly where does this 5 sec delay occur?

The log-file can probably determine in more detail where this happens, but I have never experienced issues...

/Znack
    Friday, October 9, 2009 7:41 AM
  • The following information is in my sftlog file:

[10/09/2009 11:08:48:692 SWAP INF] {hap=27:app=DefaultApp MFC Application 1.0.0.1:tid=AF0:usr=demo.test}
    Elapsed time for upload: 0.16 seconds

[10/09/2009 11:08:48:770 SWAP INF] {hap=27:app=DefaultApp MFC Application 1.0.0.1:tid=AF0:usr=demo.test}
    Elapsed time for launch: 7.141 seconds

Friday, October 9, 2009 9:12 AM
  • Hello,

Suggested actions;
    1. Read the following whitepaper;
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/7/8/f784a197-73be-48ff-83da-4102c05a6d44/AppPubandClientInteraction.docx
    2. try different applications, online / offline mode - different machine configurations
    3. Determine what can be learned from the above and create different actions to create a faster start-up

In the documentations forum I have posted a linked to TS best-practice environment. Perhaps this could be applied aswell?

I would also read the blogs.technet.com/softgrid and sequencing whitepaper as there are loads of permformance considerations to be read from there.

/Znack
    Friday, October 9, 2009 9:17 AM
  • Are you opening the program from opening a file or by clicking on the program?

I've seen file type associations cause strange delays, particularly with PowerFuse.
    Friday, October 9, 2009 4:37 PM
  • Do you have virtual services in the package?

Any such service, set to autostart, will delay start of the actual application by amount of what they use for starting up (or starting and then failing after timeout). If I recall correctly, those won't be displayed in the log file so you cannot readily see it's because of it.. but I have witnessed a package (some software from Adobe's CS3 suite) that had 2-3 autostarting virtual services delaying launch up to 1 minute and after setting those services to either manual or disabled, application launched normally.

br,
    Kalle
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 9:43 AM
  • Of course there will be some delay in application launch in order to gain bennefits such as automatic version upgrade on launch ("active upgrade").  In addition to ideas expressed previously, you may want to tune your client anti-virus to exclude certain things, such as the FSD file.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 5:04 PM
  • Am I missing something? Hans is talking about the DefaultApp here :-)

{hap=27:app=DefaultApp MFC Application 1.0.0.1:tid=AF0:usr=demo.test}
    Ment van der Plas
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 8:53 AM
    Answerer