none
Remaining duration plus current date don't add up RRS feed

• Question

• I have a project in which the project finish date does not seem to equal the current date plus the remaining duration.  For the purposes of this discussion, the current date is 7/11 (at about 18:00).  The image below shows the first three unfinished tasks coming up for "Ken".  Task 550 shows .67 days of remaining duration, but does not finish until 7/13; I would expect it to finish sometime on the afternoon of 7/12.  The succeeding tasks look similarly delayed.  They remained the same even after I did a project update to "schedule all unfinished work" for after today.  What might account for this discrepancy?

Dan

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 10:18 PM

Answers

• In Timephased view check how the resource is allocated on 3 parallel tasks, is the sum of 3 tasks work hrs/ day sum up to 75% of unit; if answer is yes, then the calculation would have logically shifted the finish date as you are noticing. If possible if the issue is not clear, paste the snapshot of time-phased resource usage view.

Sapna S

Thursday, July 12, 2012 1:46 PM

All replies

• If your expectations do not match what you are seeing then it is probably the expectations which need adjusting.

It would be better to express work in hours (person-hours) rather than days, if only to maintain the distinction between duration and work.

As it is, there is not enough information to be sure what is happening.
    If you are looking to check start and finish times you need to display a date/time format which shows times.
    In MSP2007 tools, options, view.
    In MSP2010 file, options, display.

Check also the project start date/time, the project calendar, the resource base calendar (and any further custom calendar).

Thursday, July 12, 2012 4:12 AM
  • Could be due to Ken is working on the tasks in parallel as well his unit is 75%; more detail is required for this. Check in Resource Usage View for Ken that what is leading to these dates, may be that could help you identify the issue.

Sapna S

Thursday, July 12, 2012 9:34 AM
  • Sapna--

Is there anything in particular I should be looking for in resource usage?

Dan

Dan

Thursday, July 12, 2012 1:18 PM
  • In Timephased view check how the resource is allocated on 3 parallel tasks, is the sum of 3 tasks work hrs/ day sum up to 75% of unit; if answer is yes, then the calculation would have logically shifted the finish date as you are noticing. If possible if the issue is not clear, paste the snapshot of time-phased resource usage view.

Sapna S

Thursday, July 12, 2012 1:46 PM