Adding metadata from email attachments sent to Sharepoint Library to Library Columns RRS feed

• Question

• Hey - first time poster :-)

I'm using a Sharepoint Document Library to store PDF's that are generated when my Field Staff perform an audit. The PDF is automatically generated with Author, Title and Keywords metadata specific to that PDF and is emailing to the email address for the Sharepoint Library.

I 'd like the metadata from the PDF attachment to be automatically assigned to the respective column (Title, Author, Keywords) for the Document Library, but can't see how to configure this, or find whether this is even possible.

Would love some help :-)

Friday, January 20, 2012 3:27 AM

Answers

• You'd need to develop an Event Receiver, Custom SharePoint Designer Workflow Activity or Visual Studio Workflow to read the information from the PDF using a third party library such as SyncFusion of iTextSharp.

You can then use this data to populate the PDF meta data into SharePoint columns.

• Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Thursday, January 26, 2012 3:12 PM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 9:47 AM
  • Hi, i guess you need to read the pdf file fields for Author ,Title and keywords just get the values from the fields and update columns, create a workflow to read pdf fields and updating the column as per the values in the list.
    Anil
    Friday, January 20, 2012 9:43 AM

All replies

• Hi, i guess you need to read the pdf file fields for Author ,Title and keywords just get the values from the fields and update columns, create a workflow to read pdf fields and updating the column as per the values in the list.
    Anil
    Friday, January 20, 2012 9:43 AM
  • You'd need to develop an Event Receiver, Custom SharePoint Designer Workflow Activity or Visual Studio Workflow to read the information from the PDF using a third party library such as SyncFusion of iTextSharp.

You can then use this data to populate the PDF meta data into SharePoint columns.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 9:47 AM