none
Receive a "Server Error in '/' Application" on some links RRS feed

• Question

• Good day all!

I have been trying to get Project Server 2010 working and I seem to be running into a wall. I receive a"Server Error in '/' Application" on five links under the server settigns page. These links are 1) Fiscal Periods 2) time Reporting Periods 3) Time Sheet Adjustments 4) Line Classifications and 5) Administrative Time.

I have been digging all around in the forums and online and have yet to figure this out. The Application log on the server indicates similiar information for each failure. All other links on the server settings page work fine.

I will paste the info from one entry below. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

********************************************************************************

Event code: 3005

Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.

Event time: 12/14/2010 11:39:07 AM

Event time (UTC): 12/14/2010 4:39:07 PM

Event ID: 6c9c0b69407b4f8ca78bc814ddae5471

Event sequence: 810

Event occurrence: 5

Event detail code: 0

Application information:

Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/2095779731/ROOT-1-129367817097242792

Trust level: WSS_Minimal

Application Virtual Path: /

Application Path: d:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\80\

Machine name: ***-SHPT01

Process information:

Process ID: 4348

Process name: w3wp.exe

Account name: ***\spapppool

Exception information:

Exception type: HttpException

Exception message: Session state can only be used when enableSessionState is set to true, either in a configuration file or in the Page directive. Please also make sure that System.Web.SessionStateModule or a custom session state module is included in the <configuration>\<system.web>\<httpModules> section in the application configuration.

Request information:

Request URL: http://***-shpt01/_layouts/pwa/Admin/FiscalPeriod.aspx

Request path: /_layouts/pwa/Admin/FiscalPeriod.aspx

User host address: *.*.*.*

User: ***\******

Is authenticated: True

Authentication Type: NTLM

Thread account name: ***\spapppool

Thread information:

Thread ID: 15

Thread account name: ***\spapppool

Is impersonating: False

Stack trace: at System.Web.UI.Page.get_Session()

at Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.ApplicationPages.FiscalPeriodPage.LoadFiscalMonths(Int32 year)

at Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.ApplicationPages.FiscalPeriodPage.PJWebPage_OnLoad(EventArgs e)

at Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.PJWebPage.OnLoad(EventArgs e)

at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Custom event details:

Steven Fisher
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 5:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• I guess no one has any ideas... I did post this in the correct forum didn't I? :)

Steven Fisher
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 11:53 AM
  • You did.....I've never seen this one before though.  I presume you've checked
    the logs, etc.?  Are you sure the install occured correctly?

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Twitter: @alavinsky Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 12:31 PM
  • Okay so lots of digging and try this and that. So at one point I was digging into SQL tables to verify entries and they all existed. I tried a repair install of Project Server also. I did modify the custom errors mode to off for those 5 pages. I now get a similiar error for four of the pages:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Session state can only be used when enableSessionState is set to true, either in a configuration file or in the Page directive. Please also make sure that System.Web.SessionStateModule or a custom session state module is included in the <configuration>\<system.web>\<httpModules> section in the application configuration.

I also get a different error for the time sheet adjustment page:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Just so you have an idea I have been up and down the forums trying variuos solutions. Apparently now after an attempted repair installation I am also getting in Central Administration a dreaded missing server side dependecies:

[MissingWebPart] WebPart class [9457e8ac-6de5-feef-0bfc-46e228cada36] (class [Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.WebParts.ResourceCenterPart] from assembly [Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.PWA, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c]) is referenced [1] times in the database [ProjectServer_PWA], but is not installed on the current farm. Please install any feature/solution which contains this web part. One or more web parts are referenced in the database [ProjectServer_PWA], but are not installed on the current farm. Please install any feature or solution which contains these web parts.
    [MissingWebPart] WebPart class [8d6034c4-a416-e535-281a-6b714894e1aa] is referenced [49] times in the database [ProjectServer_PWA], but is not installed on the current farm. Please install any feature/solution which contains this web part. One or more web parts are referenced in the database [ProjectServer_PWA], but are not installed on the current farm. Please install any feature or solution which contains these web parts.
    [MissingWebPart] WebPart class [1a9157bd-0b7f-baf1-e9a4-8596c7be0b53] (class [Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.WebParts.RemindersPart] from assembly [Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.PWA, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c]) is referenced [2] times in the database [ProjectServer_PWA], but is not installed on the current farm. Please install any feature/solution which contains this web part. One or more web parts are referenced in the database [ProjectServer_PWA], but are not installed on the current farm. Please install any feature or solution which contains these web parts

Now for this one I made sure that the features were available (activated) for the PWA site AND even verified the webparts that made sense on the PWA site settings.

I really need some help with this if anyone has any thoughts... I am even considering unistalling Project Server, deleting the webaps from SharePoint, deleting the associated database's from SQL, rebooting both servers and finally starting the instalation of Project Server again!

By all means join me in this pre holiday catastrophe :)

Steven Fisher
    Friday, December 17, 2010 12:10 PM
  • Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
     Last time I saw that, I didn't have the right version of .NET installed -
    but that was a totally different application.  Do you get the same results
    when using other machinese?

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Twitter: @alavinsky Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm
    Friday, December 17, 2010 6:34 PM
  • I just tried and received the same error from a Windows Vista client, a Windows 7 client, and a Windows Server 2003 Client.
    Steven Fisher
    Friday, December 17, 2010 6:37 PM
  • Steve:

Missing web parts sure sounds like something went wrong during installation. Like Andrew says, this is a first in the forums. If this is a brand new install, I certainly think reinstalling is a more productive apporach than chasing obscure issues.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Friday, December 17, 2010 10:09 PM
  • Just to clarify... The recommendation is to .... Unistall as I described earlier then reinstall?
    Steven Fisher
    Friday, December 17, 2010 10:11 PM
  • Steve:

If it were me, I might flatten the front end box, but I don't want to make that recommendation lightly considering the work involved, unless you're using images.

Project Server Help BLOG
    Friday, December 17, 2010 10:14 PM
  • Just to provide an update. The unistall and reinstall did not work. I was really hoping it would. There were problems with creating the PWA application, I even tried to create a new one. I guess there were some deep impedded entries in a DB somewhere. I managed to have a SAN snapshot performed late last week and it was rolled back at the end of the day yesterday. I verified that I am exactly where I was before the introduction of new problems. I know, I know it really is a shame that I didn't have a SAN snapshot from before I started the whole process....

So, I guess I will chug along and try to figure out those errors one by one. Thanks again for all of the assistance and if there are any more thoughts I would appreciate them.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! :)

Steven Fisher
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 12:28 PM
  • What happens if you create a second instance in the same server? 

The fact that you had two identical strange issues happen on two different
    installs either implies you're doing something wrong consistently - or something
    external is causing this.  I'd go with the second option just because I haven't
    seen this happen once, much less twice in the same environment.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 1:25 PM
  • I second Andrew's thoughts. You have created your first instance under the root site

http://***-shpt01/_layouts/pwa/Admin/FiscalPeriod.aspx

How about creating the new PWA instance like below?

http://***-shpt01/pwa

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 2:13 PM
  • Okay I have two sites and same problem on both. http://***-shpt01/PWA and http://''***-shpt01/projects they both give me the errors on those links. I tried the second one last week after getting those errors. That's why I tried the repair install then posted on this thread.

Thanks!

Steven Fisher
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 2:17 PM
  • Steven:

When you uninstall Project Server, it does ot remove everything from IIS, so you need to clean this up manually.What installation procedure are you following?

Project Server Help BLOG
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 2:24 PM
  • Okay I was following the documented procedures on Technet, such as http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197280.aspx 

If you have the IIS cleanup procedure I may consider trying again, I still think I might have to resort to t/s the errors one by one.

Thanks again!

Steven Fisher
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 2:30 PM
  • Hello. Looks like I'm in the same boat! Am experiencing the EXACT same issue. Similar errors were found in the ULS. Creating a second instance of PWA doesn't make any difference, the errors are still there (Fiscal Periods, Time Reporting Periods, etc).

The first PWA instance however, was upgraded from a previous running copy of PS2007.

Is there any hotfix that would address this issue?

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 5:43 AM
  • Hey guys. Please try the latest PS2010 Hotfix from Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2479792

After installing, the error's all gone! Give it a try =)

• Proposed as answer by brettlee Wednesday, March 2, 2011 3:04 AM
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 8:08 AM