Default proofing language does not stick RRS feed

• Question

• Once I opened Word on my new laptop, it defaulted to English (United States). I need it to go to English (South Africa).

However, even though I have been through all the advised steps, it reverts to English (United States). I did, for example, successfully open Normal.dotm and changed the default language there before saving it.

I did not have this problem before.

Any suggestions on how I resolve this?

Crispin

Friday, February 14, 2020 10:40 AM

All replies

• I have no idea which steps you have taken.The key piece is this is not something that is set as a Word option nor by document, page, or even paragraph. Again, this is not a document setting although document, Word and Windows settings can matter.

See Spelling Checker Does Not Work! - Proofing Language Keeps Changing - Solutions.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Saturday, February 15, 2020 4:11 PM
  • Hi Crispin,

What's detailed version of Word you are using? You can follow Charles's reply to have a check. 

If the issue persists, you can try to reset user options and registry settings in Word  and then reapply Default proofing language change.

If you have any updates, feel free to post back to let us know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Monday, February 17, 2020 12:26 PM
  • Hi,

I am checking the status of this issue. Do you have any update for it?

If the replies are helpful to this question, please remember to mark them as answers. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. Thanks for your understanding.

Anything unclear or any questions, feel free to post them back to let us know. I will be glad to follow up and help you.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Tuesday, February 25, 2020 12:05 AM
  • Hi,

This thread has been around for a long time. Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. 

Thank you for understanding! If you have any questions, or updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Monday, March 9, 2020 1:48 AM