Project 2010 Remaining Availability Not Populating in the Resource Usage View RRS feed

• Question

• I have resources assigned to multiple tasks and I'm trying to determine who has availability week over week.  The "Work" field populates correctly, everyone has the standard calendar assigned, I'm booking "% Work Complete" which is calculating the "Remaining Work" field correctly; however the "Remaining Availability" field is blank in my Resource Usage timephase view.  Is there a field I'm not utilizing properly (or not utilizing at all) that affects this calculation?

I've also assigned "Available From" and "Available To" dates in the Resource Sheet for each resource.  When I show those columns in the Resource Usage view I see "NA" for each resource which seems incorrect.

Monday, October 17, 2011 2:11 PM

Answers

• Hi mdegroff,

Pardon me for bumping in.  I cannot reproduce what you report using Microsoft Project 2010 32 bit SP-1 and the CU from August 2011.

I see values for Remaining Availability for all resources in the Resource Usage view.  As expected when I alter the Resource Availability, it correctly shows zero availability for any gaps in the availability list.

As far as the NA showing in the Available from or Available To fields -- that is always current as of the current date.  For example, I have a resource who has only one line in the Resource Availability:

Oct 24 2011 to Oct 28 2011 100%

Today is now Oct 17 -- so, in the Available From field added to the Resource Usage view, I see NA and that is true -- there is a segment that says from NA (any date prior) to Oct 23, the resource's availability is nothing.  In the Available to field is see Oct 23 2011 11:59 pm.  The segment for Oct 24 starts one minute later.

I hope this helps.

Julie

• Marked as answer by Mike Glen Sunday, January 1, 2012 9:29 PM
    Monday, October 17, 2011 3:17 PM

All replies

• % Work Complete and Remaining Work are not relevant to the Remaining Availability calculation.

Remaining Availability equals Availability minus Work.

By design, "No information appears in the Remaining Availability field next to the assignment (assignment: A specific resource that is assigned to a particular task.) names. This field allows the remaining availability information for resources to appear in the resource rows above the assignment rows. "

The Available From and To fields display the dates that are in effect for the current time.  If you have set the From and To dates to define a span of time that includes today, then the display should not show NA.  If you are CERTAIN that you have done everything correctly, then consider running the Office Repair, or reinstalling Project.

Reid McTaggart Partner DeltaBahn LLC
    Monday, October 17, 2011 2:43 PM
  • Reid,

Thank you for the reply.  Per MS Project help, Remaining Availability is defined as:

Remaining Availability (resource-timephased field)

Entry Type Calculated

How Calculated The Remaining Availability field is based on the Available From and Available To date fields, the assigned work to the resource, the resource calendar , and the maximum units specified for the resource.

Best Uses Add the Remaining Availability field to the timephased portion of the Resource Usage view to display or filter for remaining availability information for a resource.

Example You have assigned Jamie to several tasks . You review the Remaining Availability field in the Resource Usage view to see how much spare time Jamie has to work on other tasks.

I agree that I wouldn't see remaining availabilty at the task level in the resource usage view, but I should see a value at the top level resource line.  That is also blank.  Per the description, I feel as if I have everything populated.  What else am I missing?

Monday, October 17, 2011 2:59 PM
  • I cannot reproduce the problem wherein the Remaining Availability field is BLANK for the resource line of the Resource Usage view.  Mine shows 0h for all time periods outside the Available From and To dates, and it shows the correct Remaining Availability for all dates within the range(s).

From what you describe, you are not doing anything wrong.

Reid McTaggart Partner DeltaBahn LLC
    Monday, October 17, 2011 3:16 PM
  • Hi mdegroff,

Pardon me for bumping in.  I cannot reproduce what you report using Microsoft Project 2010 32 bit SP-1 and the CU from August 2011.

I see values for Remaining Availability for all resources in the Resource Usage view.  As expected when I alter the Resource Availability, it correctly shows zero availability for any gaps in the availability list.

As far as the NA showing in the Available from or Available To fields -- that is always current as of the current date.  For example, I have a resource who has only one line in the Resource Availability:

Oct 24 2011 to Oct 28 2011 100%

Today is now Oct 17 -- so, in the Available From field added to the Resource Usage view, I see NA and that is true -- there is a segment that says from NA (any date prior) to Oct 23, the resource's availability is nothing.  In the Available to field is see Oct 23 2011 11:59 pm.  The segment for Oct 24 starts one minute later.

I hope this helps.

Julie

• Marked as answer by Mike Glen Sunday, January 1, 2012 9:29 PM
    Monday, October 17, 2011 3:17 PM
  • I'm having a similar issue. None of my resources have any data in the REm. Avail field on the resource usage view. I took one specific resource and tried a couple of varriations of making this work. First, I entered 1/1/13 - 12/31/13 100% available and then took a look at a week where I knew the resource should have some "free" time and the field was empty. Then as a second test I entered 12/1/13 - 12/31/13 and again the rem. avail field did not have any value for the week I knew the resource had free time. So, I'm wondering whatelse I might be missing in my set up??
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 7:12 PM
  • If the resource is available at 100%, there is no reason to enter dates into the resource availability.  Leave both the "from" and "to" fields to NA.

Do you have SP-2 installed to Project 2010?

• Edited by Julie Sheets Thursday, December 12, 2013 10:53 PM
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 10:53 PM
  • That's how I originally had it set but it wasn't working... However, I figured it out this morning. I use group by in the resource usage view so that I can better see all of the individual's assigned task by the project rather than all bunched together. Because this is several projects feeding a single resource pool I needed a way to see which "projects" the coding tasks I was seeing were tied to. Without using the grouping filter I just saw 5 or 6 of the same tasks over and over for individuals because all projects are simplar for us.  So, is there a way to see the remaining availability while grouping or is there a better way to group tasks so I see the associated projects to the tasks?
    Friday, December 13, 2013 2:31 PM
  • I don't believe you can group and show data in the Remaining Availability field as the grouping summaries data already.

Add the Project field to the left side of the Resource Usage view to see what project the tasks are from.

Friday, December 13, 2013 2:44 PM