none
Enforce quick migration (instead of live migration) for a VM

Question

• Hi, we are running a virtual Kemp Load Balancer (VLM-2000). For yet unknown reason, this stops working after live migration. It does, however, survive quick migration without any issues.

We'll try to fix the underlying issue with Kemp, but in the meantime, is there any option how I could disable LiveMigration for that VM? So, when someone pauses the node that it runs on, it does not do live migration but quick migration (or shuts it down and boots it again)?

Sunday, April 30, 2017 4:03 PM

Answers

• Hi Sir,

>>So, when someone pauses the node that it runs on, it does not do live migration but quick migration (or shuts it down and boots it again)?

As for planned failover ,you may consider manually do this with powershell script .

If it is 'un-planned faiover' , the VM would be restarted on other nodes from power off state .

AFAIK , there is no build-in feature in failover cluster to cover your needs .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by svhelden Monday, May 1, 2017 9:56 AM
    Monday, May 1, 2017 9:48 AM

All replies

• Well, you can't easily prevent a VM from ever being Live Migrated.

But, for Hyper-V 2012+, you can prevent automatic Live Migrations by setting the VM's priority to low. Then, in a failover event, it will be Quick Migrated instead. Access its properties in Failover Cluster Manager:

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog
    I am an independent contributor, not an Altaro employee. I accept all responsibility for the content of my posts. You accept all responsibility for any actions that you take based on the content of my posts.

Sunday, April 30, 2017 9:07 PM
  • But, for Hyper-V 2012+, you can prevent automatic Live Migrations by setting the VM's priority to low. Then, in a failover event, it will be Quick Migrated instead. 

Thanks.

But that would mean that in case of a failover, it would be started after all the High and Medium VMs, though actually it is one of the most important ones ...

Monday, May 1, 2017 5:48 AM
  • Hi Sir,

>>So, when someone pauses the node that it runs on, it does not do live migration but quick migration (or shuts it down and boots it again)?

As for planned failover ,you may consider manually do this with powershell script .

If it is 'un-planned faiover' , the VM would be restarted on other nodes from power off state .

AFAIK , there is no build-in feature in failover cluster to cover your needs .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by svhelden Monday, May 1, 2017 9:56 AM
    Monday, May 1, 2017 9:48 AM

• AFAIK , there is no build-in feature in failover cluster to cover your needs .

Thanks, ok. So, we just have to manually quick-migrate that VM before pausing a node.
    Monday, May 1, 2017 9:56 AM