none
export users from my Domain Controller to import to my new Domain Controler

Question

• Hello friends.

I installed a new Exchange 2016 server in my organization and a new Domain Controller as well.

And I have about 20 organizational units and about 300 users.

Is there any way to export users from my Domain Controller to import to my new Domain Controler?

But my old Domain Controller does not have the same domain as the old one, the domain is new.

Is there any way?

Silvio Tavares - Analista de Sistemas

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 4:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello friends.

I installed a new Exchange 2016 server in my organization and a new Domain Controller as well.

And I have about 20 organizational units and about 300 users.

Is there any way to export users from my Domain Controller to import to my new Domain Controler?

But my old Domain Controller does not have the same domain as the old one, the domain is new.

Is there any way?

It sounds like you're going to cross-forest here, and this is one of those things that is going to take some planning and more in-depth conversation then what you typically can get in the forum. I would highly recommend that you engage an experienced consultant who can help guide you through this process. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 9:24 PM
  • Hello,
    It does not seem necessary to pay dearly for a consultant.

With the Active Directory Migration Tool (ADMT) tool this can be done.
    But I've never used this tool, I'm reading her documentation to see if I can do what I need with it.

Thursday, December 7, 2017 8:57 AM
  • If anyone knows more about Active Directory Migration Tool (ADMT) tool please let me know ..

Thursday, December 7, 2017 8:58 AM
  • i have used it. you need to install it. make sure required ports are open between both servers. You may have to specify the domain admin account of other domain on the ADMT setup which will authenticate and migrate the user.

Thanks & Regards Ramandeep Singh

Thursday, December 7, 2017 10:18 AM
  • Exactly, I'm installing it now, but the version for 2012 R2, requires SQLExpress, I hope it works.

Thursday, December 7, 2017 10:20 AM
  • trying to install sqlexpress 2012 in DC but is giving direct error .... the old version did not have this SQL .... it seems a joke ....

Thursday, December 7, 2017 2:22 PM
  • Hello,
    It does not seem necessary to pay dearly for a consultant.

With the Active Directory Migration Tool (ADMT) tool this can be done.
    But I've never used this tool, I'm reading her documentation to see if I can do what I need with it.

Slightly disagree.  There are a lot of other things moving domains touches, like different software packages, that may not play well with a forest migration it's good to find that out before you start moving users and end up finding out an important line of business app was forgotten about or not migrated to the domain properly. 

In the end, do what you want, It's completely up to you in my experience the best way to have a successful migration is to have a solid plan.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread

Thursday, December 7, 2017 2:29 PM
  • If anyone knows more about Active Directory Migration Tool (ADMT) tool please let me know ..

Also, you should ask questions about the ADMT in Windows Server forum and not the Exchange forum.

Thursday, December 7, 2017 2:29 PM
  • there are people who add and others who disaggregate.

As I said, what you said here is not everyone can afford a consultant, which is very expensive.

Who can pay for an advanced consultation, certainly would not come here in the Forum to ask for help.

I am migrating my Exchange Server 2016 to another one, so I asked here.

But if that bothers you so much, I can perfectly delete my post.

• Edited by Silvio AST Thursday, December 7, 2017 3:33 PM
    Thursday, December 7, 2017 3:33 PM
  • Hi.

You can use Microsoft ADMT, or any other application (Quest, etc).

You have two way, use ADMT and create lab, test and after test apply to production, or you can buy application and support, or ask consulting for this job. 

How to Migrate Users Across Forest (Cross Forest) Using ADMT 3.2 with SID and Passwords

ADMT Guide: Migrating and Restructuring Active Directory Domains

ADMT is very good utility for migration. total ~20K users was migrate with ADMT

MCITP, MCSE. Regards, Oleg

• Marked as answer by Silvio AST Friday, December 8, 2017 11:37 AM
    Thursday, December 7, 2017 4:42 PM
  • Hi, please help:

We're sorry, this download is no longer available.

Thursday, December 7, 2017 4:55 PM
  • Windows Server Active Directory Migration Tool

Welcome!

The Windows Server Active Directory Migration Tool (ADMT) V3.2 is a free utility that allows you to migrate objects (users, computers, groups, etc.) from one Windows Server Active Directory domain/forest to another.  Please select the appropriate link below to begin downloading the version of ADMT and/or the Password Export Server (PES) that is suitable for your platform and locale.

Download the Windows Server Active Directory Migration Tool (ADMT) V3.2.

MCITP, MCSE. Regards, Oleg

• Edited by Oleg.Kovalenko Thursday, December 7, 2017 6:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by Silvio AST Friday, December 8, 2017 11:37 AM
    Thursday, December 7, 2017 6:30 PM
  • there are people who add and others who disaggregate.

As I said, what you said here is not everyone can afford a consultant, which is very expensive.

Who can pay for an advanced consultation, certainly would not come here in the Forum to ask for help.

I am migrating my Exchange Server 2016 to another one, so I asked here.

But if that bothers you so much, I can perfectly delete my post.

That's fine.  I just want to make sure you and users have a seamless experience when transitioning domains.  These can be painful if you go start leaping before looking.

Thursday, December 7, 2017 7:03 PM