none
Report RRS feed

• Question

• I want to create a report using MS project 2010 with a common resource pool across several projects, the project should depict total work remaining by resource time phased at a summary.  I would like to drill into the report and see what tasks are contained within each specific time period to see detail.

Thanks,

Charlie Falson

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 10:30 PM

All replies

• Have you tried creating a master project and then exporting the data to Excel - or using one of the Visual Reports to drop the data into an Excel OLAP cube?

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

Thursday, February 7, 2013 2:16 AM
  • I have created a shared resource pool, project shedule for one of our programs wtih appropriate, task durations, work and utilization, but none of the visual reports from what I see time phase work for each resource.  I have seen a summary for the project but do not see time as a choice.  Team plannning seems to have the data, but is unwieldy to use a a report, but that us what I am looking for as a detailed and rollup summary over time, for resources.
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 1:20 PM
  • Charlie,

First, have you looked at the Resource or Task Usage views? Either or both of those will give you the data you describe. You can also filter and/or group those views to create your report.

Second, there are several built-in reports found under Project/Reports group/Reports (Project 2010), but those are a little less flexible and can't be saved and sent to someone else.

The third option is to use the Visual Reports that Andrew mentioned. As I recall all of the visual reports export timescaled data into an OLAP cube for reading/formatting into various reports from a pivot table in Excel. To use this approach effectively you need to understand how to manipulate pivot tables.

The fourth option is to customize whatever report you want using VBA. This is my preferred option as exporting Project data to Excel allows the greatest flexibility.

John

Friday, February 8, 2013 3:54 PM