none
How to recover Hyper V vm RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Hyper V node which is part of cluster but also some VMs are as stand alone. So I had push agent on Hyper v node and started backup of VMs. Backups are successful. But when I go to restore the VM, It shows me that I can recover only VHDX files. It shows me two VHDX files which are C: and D: Also it is allowing me to restore VHDx as file over copy to a network.

how can I restore whole VM instead of storing VHDX files one by one.?

Arif

Friday, July 3, 2020 1:17 PM

Answers

• Hi,

When you want to recover an entire Hyper-V virtual machine (VM), go to Recovery tab and then expand the protected Hyper-V host, under "All Protected HyperV Data" you should see your VM.

Now you should be able to see your VM under "Recoverable Item", as shown here:

Right-click your VM and select Recover, to find different recovery points select another recovery point from the above calendar that is marked with bold.

If you double-click your VM, you will see the VHDX files, and you can recover them separately, but this is how you recover an entire VM.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Marked as answer by azahri miya Monday, July 6, 2020 4:25 AM
    Friday, July 3, 2020 1:35 PM
  • hi Azahri,

In order to recover the Entire Virtual Machine, make sure you select/Click the option: "All Protected Hyper-V Data". After that, on the right hand pane, it will list all the VMs which are eligible for restore. Select the one you want to restore and then click recover. PFB the screenshot for your reference :

If you select the VM from the left hand page, it will only give you option to restore the VHD files or you can try ILR. Try it and let me know.

Friday, July 3, 2020 1:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

When you want to recover an entire Hyper-V virtual machine (VM), go to Recovery tab and then expand the protected Hyper-V host, under "All Protected HyperV Data" you should see your VM.

Now you should be able to see your VM under "Recoverable Item", as shown here:

Right-click your VM and select Recover, to find different recovery points select another recovery point from the above calendar that is marked with bold.

If you double-click your VM, you will see the VHDX files, and you can recover them separately, but this is how you recover an entire VM.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Friday, July 3, 2020 1:35 PM
  • hi Azahri,

In order to recover the Entire Virtual Machine, make sure you select/Click the option: "All Protected Hyper-V Data". After that, on the right hand pane, it will list all the VMs which are eligible for restore. Select the one you want to restore and then click recover. PFB the screenshot for your reference :

If you select the VM from the left hand page, it will only give you option to restore the VHD files or you can try ILR. Try it and let me know.

Friday, July 3, 2020 1:38 PM