Skype for Business on RDS server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I am trying to deploy an on-premise version of Skype for Business.

I am trying to install the Skype for Business client on our RDS servers, which already have Office 2016 Professional Plus installed.

When I run the install I get this Error:

Setup is unable to proceed due to the following error(s)

This copy of Microsoft Office 2016 cannot be used on a computer running Terminal Services.  To use Office 2016 on a computer running Terminal Services, you must use a Volume License edition of Office.

Correct the issue(s) listed above and re-run setup.

We are using a volume license version of Ofice 2016.  How do I get past this issue.

Also I've seen some links saying Skype for Business client isn't supported on RDS, but can't find anything definitive from MS. Is this not a supported configuration?

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 3:02 PM

All replies

• Hi RMorrissey64,

“I am trying to install the Skype for Business client on our RDS servers, which already have Office 2016 Professional Plus installed.”

Which version is your Skype for Business Client?

In my experience, Skype for Business is a part of Office 2016. I don’t think you need to install it again.

About your error, I find a reference for you to have a try:https://www.pelegit.co.il/this-copy-of-microsoft-office-cannot-be-used-on-a-computer-running-terminal-services/

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft can make no representation concerning the content of these sites. Microsoft is providing this information only as a convenience to you: this is to inform you that Microsoft has not tested any software or information found on these sites and therefore cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software on the Internet.

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 28, 2019 6:04 AM
  • Hi, thank you for the reply.

I was able to work around the problem by running the Office 2016 setup again, choosing to add a program and I was able to select Skype for Business from there.

• Proposed as answer by Shaw_Lu Thursday, August 29, 2019 1:25 AM
    Wednesday, August 28, 2019 12:39 PM
  • Hi,

I am checking the status of this case. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Meanwhile, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer to close the thread, it will help others who encounter the same issue and read this thread.

Thank you for your understanding and patience!

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 2, 2019 1:10 AM