How long will migrate VPS when Node die ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I have a question about the migration of VPS when own Node die.

I have a cluster with 3 Node ( Windows server 2016 TP5 ), every Node have 3 VPS running on it. If one Node die ( lost power ), how long does it take to move a virtual machine using live migration?

I was read at FAQ : https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff715313(v=ws.10).aspx#BKMK_howlong

but not enough information i need.

Sorry my english not well.

Saturday, November 19, 2016 3:34 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Before answer your question, let me clarify the difference between live migration and failover clustering fist.

•  Live Migration is the Microsoft Hyper-V feature where you move a running virtual machine from one physical host to another physical host while the VM continues to run. This happens when the VM is running.

• Failover Clustering is the Microsoft Server feature which can quickly detect the failure of physical host or node, and recover on another physical host or node.

According to the scenario you described, it should fit the Failover Clustering.

By default, on Windows 2016, the recovery action can take after 10 ~ 20 heartbeats missed. The interval for each heartbeat is 1s

However, besides the time for recovery action, the time for restarting VMs on the new node should be calculated in the total recovery time, the time is vary based on the configuration of physical hosts, it's recommend to be calculated on the specific host.

More information about the heartbeats, please refer to the following article.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/clustering/2012/11/21/tuning-failover-cluster-network-thresholds/

Best Regards,
    Andy Liu 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by pnksys Friday, December 2, 2016 4:09 AM
    Thursday, December 1, 2016 10:11 AM

All replies

• Hello,

After initiating a live migration, the following process occurs:

1. Live migration setup occurs, in which transfers the VM configuration data to the destination physical host.
    2. Memory pages are transferred from the source node to the destination node.
    3. Modified pages are transferred.
    4. The storage handle is moved from the source server to the destination server.
    5. The virtual machine is brought online on the destination server.
    6. Network cleanup occurs, at this point a message is sent to the physical network switch causes it to re-learn the MAC addresses of the migrated VM so that network traffic to and from NYC-SVR2 can use the correct switch port. 

The live migration process completes in less time than the TCP timeout interval for the VM being migrated. TCP timeout intervals vary based on network topology and other factors. These variables may affect live migration speed: 

• The number of modified pages on the VM to be migrated: the larger number of modified pages, the longer the VM will remain in a migrating state 
    • Network available bandwidth between source and destination physical computers 
    • Hardware configuration of source and destination physical computers 
    • Load on source and destination physical hosts 
    • Available bandwidth (network or Fiber Channel) between Hyper-V physical hosts and shared storage 

More information about Live Migration, please check the following link.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831435(v=ws.11).aspx

Hope the information is useful for you.

Best Regards,
    Andy Liu

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 21, 2016 9:53 AM
  • Sorry for late reply.

Thank your reply Andy Liu50.

But something missing there about my question, hope i'll have the answer for my question about how long it will migrate VPS ( 30 second or minute ) when the cluster services detect Node die ?

Thank you.

• Edited by pnksys Thursday, December 1, 2016 4:30 AM
    Thursday, December 1, 2016 4:29 AM
  • Hello,

Before answer your question, let me clarify the difference between live migration and failover clustering fist.

•  Live Migration is the Microsoft Hyper-V feature where you move a running virtual machine from one physical host to another physical host while the VM continues to run. This happens when the VM is running.

• Failover Clustering is the Microsoft Server feature which can quickly detect the failure of physical host or node, and recover on another physical host or node.

According to the scenario you described, it should fit the Failover Clustering.

By default, on Windows 2016, the recovery action can take after 10 ~ 20 heartbeats missed. The interval for each heartbeat is 1s

However, besides the time for recovery action, the time for restarting VMs on the new node should be calculated in the total recovery time, the time is vary based on the configuration of physical hosts, it's recommend to be calculated on the specific host.

More information about the heartbeats, please refer to the following article.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/clustering/2012/11/21/tuning-failover-cluster-network-thresholds/

Best Regards,
    Andy Liu 

• Marked as answer by pnksys Friday, December 2, 2016 4:09 AM
    Thursday, December 1, 2016 10:11 AM
  • Thank your rely Andy Liu50.

Saturday, December 3, 2016 3:00 AM
  • Hello,

You are welcome!

I'm very glad it helped.  If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Andy Liu

Monday, December 5, 2016 8:58 AM