none
Pin a URL shortcut in Start Menu RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Scripting Guy,

I've been searching around the web about pinning a URL shortcut into the start menu but I haven't seen anything that will fits in to the thing that I need. I initially opted for a method in the GPO to create a shortcut and then use a registry import to display in the start menu but this caused problems to users who pins other programs to the start menu as this ovewrites anything during start up. I then moved to scripting using VBScript to do it. Application shortcuts can be added so easily using verbs but not url shortcuts. I read into a forum to create a shortcut of internet explorer and then add in the url inside the shortcut but this would mean my script would need to copy over the created shortcut because once you create the shortcut using a script the verbs disappear once again. I then opted to doing an append of binary values inside the registry using a script. I was somehow successful but it all fails when a new item is pinned in the start menu cause I'm using a value I imported from the registry that represents the url shortcut I need.

Sorry for the long story but I need your advice on what other things I can do to make it happen. Is there a way to add binary values inside the registry? What I do now is just export the current values of Favorites, Favorites Resolve and ProgramsCacheSMP then simply append the values I have created that represents the url I want to be pinned in the start menu and rewrite it back to the registry. This method works and fails when you pin a new item. When a new Item is pinned, all the other pinned items disappears and nothing is pinned anymore.

Thank you so much for the help.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 11:59 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Generally, pinning items to the start menu or task bar is reserved for the user and there's not a good programmatic interface to it. This article explains the reasons.

Bill

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 2:24 PM
  • Pinned Sites is a feature of Internet Explorer 9 rather than Windows 7.

"There is no programmatic way to pin a site to the taskbar. All pinning actions require user intervention."

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg131029(VS.85).aspx

Boo! I tried to do this before also...bummer eh?

-Dan

Please click "Vote as Helpful" if this post was helpful to you. Thanks!

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 7:35 PM
  • I believe it can be doen by directly editing the XML configuration.  IE 9 on W7 just updates that file.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 8:36 PM
  • Thank you for all your replies! @Cruz_Daniel yeah booo!! Bummer, there are somethings that you want the user to see on their start menu. I had finished my script actually that appends the URL shortcut. The only problem is, when I need to change the words, it takes a lot of effort to generate the Hexadecimal code then convert it to binary. Not to mention I need it in 4 different language. Thanks again for all your help!
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 11:26 PM