none
Enable/Disable DG RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Experts, i have few distribution groups, i want to disable them as i am not sure if users are using it. 
    if i disable it using the below syntax.
    Disable-DistributionGroup -Identity "group1"

can i enable it back using enable-DistributionGroup syntax later if any user reports.will this work for me.

Enable-DistributionGroup -Identity "group1"

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 5:55 PM

All replies

• Disabling the group will leave it in AD and later on you can enable it again.

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 6:23 PM
  • I have disabled the group using the below syntax but how can i enable it again, i am using exchange 2016

Thursday, September 12, 2019 7:22 AM
  • I have disabled the group using the below syntax but how can i enable it again, i am using exchange 2016

After disabled, this distribution group's AD account still exist in ADUC:

If you want to enable it, just need to use command below:

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 12, 2019 7:53 AM
  • Thanks Kyle it worked.

I have another query, i have disabled distribution group and after 2 weeks if i need to delete the same distribution group,Do i need to delete it from active directory? is this the right approach

Thursday, September 12, 2019 5:27 PM
  • Hi,

Distribution group is different from mailbox.

Mailbox is is made up of mailbox and AD account.

Distribution group is made up of email property and AD account.

So, when you disable a group, this action will delete it's email property, there only exist AD account for it(There doesn't exist any thing on server side). If you want to delete this group, you just need to delete this AD account directly.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 16, 2019 1:10 AM
  • Hi Glenn Maxwell,

I am writing here to confirm with you how thing going now?

If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as an answer for helping more people.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 6:28 AM