Mouse clicking lag during heavy harddisk activity RRS feed

• Question

• The mouse lags during high HDD activity (like Winrar unpacking, or Acronis True Image operations etc.). The lag is not noticeable in the movements of the mouse, but in the clicking instead, so getting a right-click menu can sometimes last 20-30 seconds.
    I have tried this in a clean, newly installed Wndows 7 SP1, but it was the same in the RTM release.
    Having a SSD alleviates the problem, but as soon as the activity takes place on a HDD, the lag occurs again. However, I don't think this should happen on a 7200 or even a 5400 rpm HDD, after all, it is just a menu. The right click context menu is not populated with a lot of entries, just the usual OS and Winrar/Acronis True Image (5-6 additional entries).
    I'm pretty sure this has never occurred with a wired mouse.

Additional notes:

- the CPU is not going above 10% or so during these lags, so it isn't the CPU that is overloaded

- the mouse is perfectly functional during all other scenarios

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, E7200, Asus P5Q, Kingston DDR2 800 4 GB, Asus EAH4850 512 MB, M-Audio Audiophile USB, Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo LSL 3230T 23", Corsair SSD x64/Samsung F3EG 1TB, Logitech Wave keyboard, Performance MX mouse
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 4:50 PM

All replies

• I'm having the same problem. Have you found a way to solve this?
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 4:12 PM
  • Sadly, no. I even wrote to Logitech support (which has always been awesome to me) and after a few lengthy emails, all I could get was a promise that their technicians would take a look at the problem.
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, E7200, Asus P5Q, Kingston DDR2 800 4 GB, Asus EAH4850 512 MB, M-Audio Audiophile USB, Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo LSL 3230T 23", Corsair SSD x64/Samsung F3EG 1TB, Logitech Wave keyboard, Performance MX mouse
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 8:29 PM
  • I dont know if you ever fixed this problam but I have the same problem even when I upgraded to windows 8. During heavy duty HHD activity like installment and copying my mouse starts to shutter and responses time doubles. I really hope you can help me, I found an other thread which said it was the DMA setting of the HHD which should be POI or something but it aint like that.

EDIT: BTW here is the fix for that DMA mode change to PIO

http://winhlp.com/node/10

• Edited by Tristan Ram Monday, January 28, 2013 10:21 PM
    Monday, January 28, 2013 10:18 PM
  • I didn't fix it, even worse, I am now working on a laptop that has a 5400 RPM HDD, and it's obviously very annoying even compared to the 7200 RPM HDD from the desktop PC, not even taking the SSD into account (which for now I believe it's the only thing that "solves" this issue).

I'm not sure how setting back the HDD to PIO can help, but I'm willing to give it a try. I will see to it when I get to the laptop, thanks for posting this.

Monday, January 28, 2013 11:50 PM