Missing hard disk partition and unallocated space RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

my Dell Inspiron laptop hard disk is divided into two; drive C has windows installation and program files (approx size 58gb) while drive D has my movies, music, etc (approx size 164gb).

I'm currently using Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit OS and recently i tried to install Ubuntu OS as well, and this is where the problems started. I ran into trouble when creating partititions for installing Ubuntu - I had tried to reduce drive D by about 10gb to create another partition for Ubuntu. I must have messed up somewhere because I couldn't proceed with the installation. I tried again without any success so I just gave up on it, quit the whole process and restarted the laptop to boot windows. having done so I found that the drive D isn't visible on windows explorer and I couldn't access any data on it; only drive C is accessible. I tried checking in disk management and I see all partitions including drive D - but now it had shrunk to about 142gb and there was also unallocated space of about 21gb. In disk management drive D is described as a healthy primary partition but I cant do anything of note with it.

I just want to restore my laptop hard disk to its original state with minimum loss of data so please help on how I go about doing that.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 11:11 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Please change the drive letter to see if it works:

1)    Click the Start Button, type diskmgmt.msc in the “Start Search” box and press Enter.

2)    Right click the D: drive and click "Change Drive Letter and Paths".

3)    Click "Change" and select another drive letter, such as "H:". Click "OK".

4)    Click "Yes".

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, August 24, 2010 9:43 AM
    Friday, August 20, 2010 5:37 AM