Western Digital Hard Drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

Just got a new Gateway Gamer Laptop stock with Vista. In any case I'm currently running SP1. Now the problem comes up when I plugged in my USB Western Digital Hard Drive. When I was first using the laptop it was great. An unexpected move had come up and I relocated to Japan. When I set my laptop up along with my Western Digital Hard Drive it failed to work properly. I've been browsing the net for some answers. Here is my delima, originally when it was plugged in it would show up in My Computer like any other removable drive, now it doesnt show up there. Thinking process goes a bit further, now I wanted to see if the computer actually saw the PnP device at all and could identify the brand or anything at all for that matter. Device Manager. I checked my Device Manager and low and behold it does, however it simply just comes up as a disk drive labeled as WD. Now to my limited knowledge of computers I remember somewhere that in Device Manager it should show the Size of the drive and i believe it was the model number among other things. So I know the computer sees the drive I just dont know why it wont show up in My computer. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

jkendoism
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 5:36 AM

Answers

• Hi,

According your description, I think you want to use Disk Management.

At this time, let’s manually set a Drive Letter to troubleshoot this issue.

1.Right click Computer and select Manage.

2.Click on Disk Management.

3.If problem drive do not have a letter, please right click the drive and select Change Drive Letter and Path, give the drive a letter and you are all set.

4.Restart the computer to test this issue again.

Hope it helps.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 7:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According your description, I think you want to use Disk Management.

At this time, let’s manually set a Drive Letter to troubleshoot this issue.

1.Right click Computer and select Manage.

2.Click on Disk Management.

3.If problem drive do not have a letter, please right click the drive and select Change Drive Letter and Path, give the drive a letter and you are all set.

4.Restart the computer to test this issue again.

Hope it helps.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 7:30 AM
  •  

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 9:36 AM
  • HI THIS WORKED GREAT HOWEVER THE DRIVE HAS INFORMATION PLACED ON FROM ANOTHER COMPUTER AND NOW IT SAYS IT HAS TO BE FORMATTED WHICH WILL LOSE ALL INFORMATION??

Friday, August 29, 2008 12:51 AM
  •   I had the exact same problem but this fix did not resolve the issue.  The Western Digital external HD does not show in the Disk Management window.  It's in my Device Manager but not in 'My Computer' with other removable storage devices.  What other suggestions do you have?

seven dragons

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 11:00 PM