How do I link to a filtered list item(s) from another list? RRS feed

• Question

• I have two lists/tables, one is a master table with unique data, e.g. a record for each customer, and another table/list I would like to create to record communications regarding a specific customer in the master list. I would like to be able to include a link in the master list to each entry in the communication record list. I anticipate that there will be multiple entries for each customer, so what I would like is some sort of 'command' link that automatically searches for/filters the customer name in the communications list when clicked in the master list. I thought about creating separate lists for each customer but I don't think that is a scalable solution.

Any suggestions?

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 7:17 PM

Answers

• Without coding, one possible way would be to create a custom lookup column in the communications list. The lookup column can lookup an unique id in the customer list. This should also give basic filtering capabilities that are available out of the box using sharepoint.

With coding, you can do it in many ways. One way would be to create a provider/consumer webparts (connectable webparts). This could be an interface where you can select a customer and display all the communication related to the customer.Hope this helps.

V
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:26 AM
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 8:36 PM

All replies

• Without coding, one possible way would be to create a custom lookup column in the communications list. The lookup column can lookup an unique id in the customer list. This should also give basic filtering capabilities that are available out of the box using sharepoint.

With coding, you can do it in many ways. One way would be to create a provider/consumer webparts (connectable webparts). This could be an interface where you can select a customer and display all the communication related to the customer.Hope this helps.

V
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:26 AM
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 8:36 PM
  • Thanks! I'll give the non-coding suggestion a try...
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 9:30 PM