none
Possible performance issue when using Update Resource workflow activity RRS feed

• Question

• We have an Update Resource workflow activity which contain this kind of query:

Key: test
    XPath Filter: /Person[(AccountType = Admin or AccountType = Test) and ContactPerson = '[//Target]']

And update part is a following:

Value Expression: "Temporarily locked"
    Target: [//Queries/Test/DisableReason]

When this workflow has been launched, the request itself takes almost 30 minutes to process! We have ~12000 person objects in the portal. Also our sql databases (MIM Sync and MIM Service) are on the same server and same instance.

Is there any way to improve the performance?

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 10:04 AM

All replies

• What is taking time? I presume it would be the XPath query itself as there would be only a handful of admin or test accounts a user can have so only a handful updates and those would not be triggering additional cascading workflows. Also is this query even working as I think Admin and Test should be wrapped in quotes?

So you can time this:

1. Check in the request history that this does not trigger any additional workflow.

2. Check how long it takes to run the query in the activity. May be simply strip out any updates in the activity.

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 11:19 AM
    Owner
  • Yes, the query is working.  This is not triggering additional workflows.

How I can monitor how long the query takes? Is it the same time how long the request itself takes?

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 12:37 PM
  • First, probably worth checking if the documented XPath format (include single quotes appropriately) has any positive perf impact.

If you enable verbose logging for WAL, you will be able to gather info on how long the query takes and how the time is split between various actions in the complete workflow. However, I would not recommend enabling this in production environment. In production, you could capture the ETW trace a script is shipped with WAL called CaptureTrace.cmd and analyse that. As short write-up on that is in MIMWAL Troubleshooting wiki.

Finally open a Microsoft Premier support case, if you can't find any obvious cause.

Thursday, February 22, 2018 1:37 PM
    Owner