Exchange 2010 and Outlook 2003 interface problems RRS feed

• Question

• We didn't have any problem connecting Outlook 2003 clients to Exchange 2010, however we are having interface problems with 2003 clients that do not use Cached Exchange Mode.  When users delete items from folders, outlook doesn't seem to refresh the item list.  If you try and delete the item again, outlook throws an "unknown error" message.  If you delete an item and then navigate away from a folder or even use the navigation pane to display the same folder, the item list will refresh and remove the deleted message.

We're seeing this on all Outlook 2003 sp3 clients. Any ideas?

Tuesday, January 5, 2010 2:48 AM

Answers

• This is a know error that is fixed with Exchange 2010 Update Rollup 1.
    You either have to install the UR1 or use Cache Exchange Mode for clients.

Elie B. MCITP: EMEA|EA|SA Blog: http://blog.elieb.info
    • Proposed as answer by Xiu Zhang Tuesday, January 5, 2010 9:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by Xiu Zhang Wednesday, January 6, 2010 7:47 AM
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 6:43 AM
  • The basic issue is that Outlook 2003 support UDP and polling notifications. Exchange 2007 supports UDP, polling and Async notifications. Exchange 2010 only supports polling and Async notifications. This means when Outlook 2003 move from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010, Outlook clients will fall back to polling which by default only gets notifications every 30secs-1min. This means any change won’t show up immediately.

UDP notification support was removed from Exchange 2010. As a result, Outlook 2003 can only use polling notifications in online mode, which are still supported by RPC Client Access. This will result in a slight delay in updates to item status (30 seconds on average up to a 1 minute delay) when changes are made to items in a mailbox accessed by Outlook 2003.

I recommend you to try to upgrade outlook to outlook 2010. 

Regards,

Xiu

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 7:47 AM

All replies

• This is a know error that is fixed with Exchange 2010 Update Rollup 1.
    You either have to install the UR1 or use Cache Exchange Mode for clients.

Elie B. MCITP: EMEA|EA|SA Blog: http://blog.elieb.info
    • Proposed as answer by Xiu Zhang Tuesday, January 5, 2010 9:48 AM
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 6:43 AM
  • I've applied the Rollup and made the registry change, and succeeded in lowering the delay to around 10 seconds - which the KB article points out is the best case solution.  Personally, I don't consider this much of an improvement.  Most of our users are local and don't currently run in cache mode, and our company passed on the Outlook 2007 upgrade due to the crippled HTML rendering engine.

Does anyone know if Exchange 2010 will eventually issue UDP notifications to Outlook 2003?

Thanks,
    Don
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 4:33 AM
  • Does anyone know if Exchange 2010 will eventually issue UDP notifications to Outlook 2003?
    I have absolutely no idea, but I wouldn't bet on it. With Office 2003 already in extended support I suspect the work to implement such things on outdated versions will not be very high.
    Brian Day, Overall Exchange & AD Geek
    MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
    MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Configuration
    LMNOP
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 4:47 AM
  • The basic issue is that Outlook 2003 support UDP and polling notifications. Exchange 2007 supports UDP, polling and Async notifications. Exchange 2010 only supports polling and Async notifications. This means when Outlook 2003 move from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010, Outlook clients will fall back to polling which by default only gets notifications every 30secs-1min. This means any change won’t show up immediately.

UDP notification support was removed from Exchange 2010. As a result, Outlook 2003 can only use polling notifications in online mode, which are still supported by RPC Client Access. This will result in a slight delay in updates to item status (30 seconds on average up to a 1 minute delay) when changes are made to items in a mailbox accessed by Outlook 2003.

I recommend you to try to upgrade outlook to outlook 2010. 

Regards,

Xiu

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 7:47 AM
  • This is quite a significant problem for us which none of the workarounds addresses properly.

1. Outlook 2010 is not a released product and we have not budgeted for an Office upgrade.

2. Outlook 2003 in cached mode only is not an option when used on terminal server.

3. The polling interval on the Client Access Server will impact the performance of the CAS and is still not fast enough for users.

The lack of UDP updates is a serious omission, and if this was by design, then this is major setback for the users of Exchange 2010.

We need an Exchange 2010 solution which properly supports Outlook 2003 running without cached mode.

Bob

Thursday, January 14, 2010 6:29 PM
  • having the same issue with ex2010 and outlook 2003, but in german, and the UR1 is just for english os/exchange..

since we just habe terminal server in our environment, the cache-mode is not suitable!

i hope this udp polling stuff will be fixed as soon as possible!!
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 11:59 AM
  • Apply KB article #2009942.

It doesn't say it in the article but you have to set the registry subkey in "decimal" format.
    Monday, March 15, 2010 11:00 PM
  • Apply KB article #2009942.

It doesn't say it in the article but you have to set the registry subkey in "decimal" format.
    Monday, March 15, 2010 11:01 PM
  • I just implemented this "fix" on my network setting the value to 5000 and it is sufficient until we migrate. There is still a delay but not as long. I also restarted the Microsoft Exchange RPC Client Access service to ensure any legacy connections are refreshed.

Below is the info from the technet site and it does state that you must enter the value as a decimal.

After you install the update, you must add the following registry data to the server by using the Client Access role.

1. Start Registry Editor.  
    2. Locate and then click to select the following registry subkey: 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeRPC\ParametersSystem 

Note
      Create the \ParametersSystem
      registry subkey if it does not exist.
    3. Add the following registry data to the server:

Value type: REG_DWORD
      Value name: Maximum Polling Frequency
      Value data: any integer between 5000 and 120000 (decimal value)
    4. Exit Registry Editor.
    Monday, April 12, 2010 11:23 PM
  • I've just implemented the same solution and had the same issues. Applied the rollup and reg key which did improve, but not to the point of making the users happy.

What I found did help was disabling RPC encryption on the server and making sure that is unchecked in the outlook profile. I've only been testing this for an hour or so, but it seems much faster.

Get-RpcClientAccess | fl will show your encryption status (listed as 'Encryption Required' 4 from the top).

To disable encryption, refer to this KB article http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/2006508?p=1

We plan to upgrade to office 2010 later in the year, at which time, we will re-enable encryption.

I hope this helps.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 11:04 PM
  • Exchange 2010 SP1 has resolved this issue with our Outlook 2003 Clients. We no longer need to run in Cached Mode.

Great news but why aren't the list of fixes made public with the SP release?

Thursday, September 9, 2010 8:58 AM
  • After installing SP1 the problem still exists with our clients! :-(

Can someone affirm that Exchange 2010 SP1 solves the issue ?!?

Thursday, September 16, 2010 9:50 AM
  • We run into the same problem inspite we did the above mentioned settings (disabled RPC Encyption, set Maximum Polling Frequency
     to minimum). The problem is also NOT solved using Exchange 2010 SP1 including Rollup 1 in our enviroment.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 12:04 PM
  • Not solved for me either, Exchange 2010, all updates installed, including the registry fix.
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 12:56 PM
  • Microsoft announced bringing back support for User Datagram Protocol (UDP) notification functionality into Microsoft Exchange Server 2010, which should solve the problem. The feature will be re-introduced in Exchange Server 2010 Service Pack 1 Roll-Up 3 (SP1 RU3).

For more information lock here: http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2011/01/28/457845.aspx

Thursday, February 10, 2011 7:42 AM
  • Rollup 3 for Exchange 2010 SP1 was released yesterday. Our company has been working with it in our lab and we still see the "unknown error" message when moving items between folders for an Outlook 2003 SP3 client with an Exchange 2010 mailbox. There is obviously still a delay...when I drag an item out of the folder I am in, it is still visible in the current folder for several seconds. With Exchange 2003 the item is instantly moved out.

We just got off the phone with a MS support person who told us that "this is by design"...that we will have to educate our users not to move items around so quickly.

We don't notice any change after installing the release update. Does anyone else have different results?

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 11:04 PM
  • I just installed it myself too.  If you send yourself like 20 test emails and then delete them one by one on Outlook 2003, lots of them will work no problem, but still a couple of them give you the "unknown error" message.  If you delete the message, and it doesn't disappear right away, when you click off it and back up, it tells you it's unable to display the message.  When you try to press the Delete button again to get rid of it, that's when the "unknown error" message comes up.  If you click off the folder and back on, it's gone.  Update Rollup 3 for Exchange 2010 SP1 definitely did not fix the problem.  I even tried deleting my Maximum Polling Frequency registry entry to put it back the way it was before trying to fix it, restart the "Microsoft Exchange RPC Client Access" service and tried again, and it still doesn't work right.  It's definitely gotten better, as my last test only had one error out of 20, but that's still not good enough.  Most of my remote users remotely connect through Citrix to get to Outlook 2003 (for access to internal network files as opposed to using OWA), so it might be time to dump some money for some Citrix Office licenses to upgrade to Outlook 2010.

Any other ideas anyone???

Thursday, March 10, 2011 5:31 AM
  • HI @All,

sorry, i have no new ideas, but the same problem. Exchange 2010 SP1 UR3v3 installed, Outlook 2003 SP3 (11.8330.8333).

Deleting a mail often work fine but some mails disappears with a few seconds delay. If you push DEL again, this "unknown error" message appears. Movin mails between folders also delays 2-3 seconds sometimes.

We already activated UDP notification, disabled the firewalls.

now we ran out of ideas....

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 8:13 AM
  • It has taken Microsoft about eighteen months to resolve this Exchange 2010 Outlook 2003 incompatibility - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2009942 and we are seeing encouraging results.

There have also been Exchange 2010 throttling issues which caused Outlook 2003 users pain when opening other user's calendars or folders - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;2299468&sd=rss&spid=13965

Also take a look at http://www.wardvissers.nl/2011/02/21/exchange-2010-opening-multiple-shared-calendars-additional-mailboxes/ which additionally gives details of the Exchange 2010 sessions per user and maximum allowed service sessions per user limit.

Good luck!

Bob

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 1:00 PM
  • HI @All,

sorry, i have no new ideas, but the same problem. Exchange 2010 SP1 UR3v3 installed, Outlook 2003 SP3 (11.8330.8333).

Deleting a mail often work fine but some mails disappears with a few seconds delay. If you push DEL again, this "unknown error" message appears. Movin mails between folders also delays 2-3 seconds sometimes.

We already activated UDP notification, disabled the firewalls.

now we ran out of ideas....

We have the same problem. It shows mostly when moving or deleting multiple items. Is there a fix for this available or in the making?
    Sunday, July 24, 2011 1:18 PM
  • Hi,

indeed the problem is still NOT solved, even with RU3v3. Microsoft told us that the problem would be fixed in RU4, RU4 took a very long time and was online for only a very short time. Even with UR4 the problems persist.

Info about RU4: http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2011/07/13/exchange-2010-sp1-ru4-removed-from-download-center.aspx

Microsoft knows about the problems, imho we will either get a RU5 fixing it or an Ex2010 SP2...

rgds

Sebastian

Sunday, July 24, 2011 3:24 PM
  • Hi Sebastian,

Are you sure MS is aware of the problem? I haven't been able to find confirmation or any acknowledgement for that matter.

Monday, July 25, 2011 10:40 AM
  • http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2009942

this has reduced the delay when deleting or moving messages to less than 1 sec.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:53 AM

this has reduced the delay when deleting or moving messages to less than 1 sec.

please read the posts first, ru3 is already installed
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 8:52 AM
  • Are you sure MS is aware of the problem? I haven't been able to find confirmation or any acknowledgement for that matter.

Yes, we have an open incident call with MS about this problem. theres only limited informations but Microsoft is working on it.
    Friday, July 29, 2011 6:51 AM
  • Yes, we have an open incident call with MS about this problem. theres only limited informations but Microsoft is working on it.

Thanks, I also called PSS and they said the same to me. Let's hope for a timely fix.
    Friday, July 29, 2011 9:27 AM
  • Any updates on this?  I thought I'd fixed the issue here with setting the EnablePushNotifications key to 1 on the CAS servers - we use Outlook 2003 in Online mode.  After moving users to our Exchange 2010 SP1 U3v3 infrastructure, the issue has crept back in.
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 8:03 PM
  • Yes, I am also seeking an Update. We are in the same boat..currently migrating users over to Exchange 2010 and we use Outlook 2003 in Online mode. I have upgraded to SP1 and installed Update Rollup 3, also set the EnablePushNotificaton and the Maximum Polling Frequency in the registry and still no luck. Users are still seeing the error 4-5 times a day.
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 8:27 PM
  • Has anyone had any good news about this? I have the same problem but it seems to be only happening with a few heavy mail users and only on meeting responses...
    Matt Nixon | http://unifiedmatt.blogspot.com
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 5:41 AM
  • I've been offered an interim update for ru4 which will fix this. Please contact your ms rep to obtain it. the KB number is KB2579172

It will also be included in RU6 they told me.

• Proposed as answer by noxiN ttaM Thursday, August 25, 2011 2:15 AM
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 8:32 AM
  • Same issues for us with our Outlook 2003 users and Exchange 2010. I realize Outlook 2010 is prefered and many of our users are on 2010 and 2007,  but there are some applications that work with MS Word that are not certified for Office 2010 yet. This is rather typical in government environments. So as much as we would like to get everyone on Outlook 2010 it's not all that possible.
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 9:41 PM
  • I also got my hands on KB2579172 and it seems to have greatly improved the situation. Thanks for the heads up.
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 2:14 AM
  • I have tried logging a case re. the above issue and after several hours on the phone to MS everyone I spoke to denies the existance of KB2579172. What's the secret to getting it out of them?? 
    Monday, August 29, 2011 11:23 PM

This will fix the issue....

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 6:02 PM
  • No it doesn't... please read the entire thread.
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 6:51 PM
  • Maybe this hotfix wil help, it improves de UDP. (we are planning to install this)
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979612/en-us

Also have a look at this thread, where the same issue is discussed.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchange2010/thread/49d370e3-682e-414e-80ad-ee371cfd659e/

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 8:48 PM
  • Hi,

same problem here.

was the hotfix kb979612 helpfull ?

thx

• Edited by HWoge Thursday, September 29, 2011 8:22 AM
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 8:20 AM
  • It helped a little; however the hotfix as per KB2579172  fixed the issue for us also.
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 11:56 AM
  • For me KB979612 solved my problem. I know some people have had problems getting their hands on it though.
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 5:26 AM
  • Since applying kb2579172  have you noticed any issues with users getting emails in batches or groups? 
    Monday, October 10, 2011 5:04 PM
  • I can't seeems to get kb2579172 anywhere...even from Premier online?

How did you get hold of it?

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 6:30 AM
  • The fix ist not accessable from outside microsoft. Please call PSS to obtain the fix.

I can confirm that the fix solved our problems: Drag and drop a mail sometimes seems not to delete the mail in the source folder. deleting a few mails by fast pressing "del" on the keyboard caused an "Unknown Error" in Outlook. New Mail sometimes not shown directy in Outlook folders.

The problems occured with Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2010 (online mode), not in cached mode.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 6:35 AM
  •  Hi,

I called Microsoft PSS and they couldn't help me as they didn't recognise that KB number as it's not listed on their support knowledge base.....any change you could maike it availale on line or email it to me at sertest@hotmail.com i would be very greatful

Thanks

Brian

Thursday, October 13, 2011 11:29 AM
  • You will have to call Microsoft as the interim update supplied needs to be for your Exchange version.

Sukh
    Friday, October 21, 2011 1:53 PM
  • Now apparently fixed in rollup 6 released yesterday.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2608646

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=27849

I'm yet to install but the hotfix mentioned earlier in this thread is listed on the issues resolved.

:)

asatchwell
    Friday, October 28, 2011 2:13 PM
  • I applied the Exchange 2010 SP1 RU6 to my testenvrionment - the problem remains.
    Friday, October 28, 2011 9:01 PM
  • same here, we installed RU6 and we still have unknown error.
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 4:51 AM
  •  

It seems that the fix KB2579172 was not ready in time. On the Exchange team blog MS said:

After looking into this, it turns out that this fix being listed on the KB article was the error. The fix for this particular problem did not make it into shipped version of SP1 RU6. We are going to remove it from the list of fixes in the release KB article. Sorry for the confusion on this.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 4:52 PM
  • So when are you going to release a fix for this?  it is beyond a joke Microsoft rollup after rollup we have been promised a fix and still nothing!  We call you and you deny all knowledge of the hotfix existing!  can you please make it available for general use ASAP as it is making us sys admins looking like idiots when it is Microsoft who are!!

asatchwell
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 7:13 PM
  • Any luck on this? We just migrated from Exchange 2003 to 2010 and seeing the weird Outlook 2003 issues with deleting and moving emails.
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 8:21 PM
  • This is a long thread and perhaps maybe the issue being discussed is different from what I originally posted But for us when we installed update rollup 3 the problem of moving message between folders in Outlook 2003 non cache mode went away. I opened an incident with PSS and installing the RU3 was what they had me do. I haven't had any reports from users with the problem. We are now running update 5.

Now it seems others are still experiencing problems so...

Thursday, December 15, 2011 9:35 PM
  • Still experiencing the issue here.  Running Version 14.1 (Build 218.15)
    Has anyone tried the new Exchange 2010 service pack 2 that was released on December 4th 2011?  I plan to install SP2 this week and give it a try.  Unfortunately we have a Terminal Server here so switching to cached exchange mode is not an option.
    Monday, January 9, 2012 2:37 AM
  • I tested if he error with the delay deleting elements in OLK 2003 in online mode is fixed with SP2.

The good news is, as far as, I can say until now: this seems to be fixed.

What's not that nice is, that it took 53 seconds (stopwatch) for a sent messsage to disappear of the outgoing folder.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 5:39 PM

• WeI tested if he error with the delay deleting elements in OLK 2003 in online mode is fixed with SP2.

The good news is, as far as, I can say until now: this seems to be fixed.

What's not that nice is, that it took 53 seconds (stopwatch) for a sent messsage to disappear of the outgoing folder.

We are having the same problem on certain PC's with the Unknown Error while deleting from Outlook 2003

We are going to be installing SP2 shortly but does this create another issue as far as sent messages?

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 3:46 PM