none
Where to create Software Usage inventory RRS feed

Answers

• MAP doesn't collect product keys, and as far as adding the collection of this data as a feature in a future release, it is unlikely since it's very problematic. Exposing product keys has potential legal, privacy, and security repercussions that would have to be investigated and vetted thoroughly, a very time consuming process. In addition, I was once told by someone in the Product Key Services group within Microsoft that only the OEM and Retail keys are stored in the registry, and not the VL keys.

Also, MAP doesn't currently have a way to determine license type.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by MZaletel Sunday, February 24, 2013 8:13 PM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 11:14 PM

All replies

• Usage Tracking is what we call a Scenario Group, it is comprised of many Feature Scenarios. You can get to the Usage Tracking features by selecting the Usage Tracking Scenario Group. For an explanation of the new UI, see this blog post: http://blogs.technet.com/b/mapblog/archive/2012/11/29/the-new-map-toolkit-user-interface.aspx 

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 7:58 PM
  • Thank you!

I think I have found it.

Is it also possible to create software inventory per computer, not just to have everything summarized and maybe also get information about what type of license is used? If not, which software would you recommend for this?

Thank you!

Best wishes,

Marko

Thursday, January 24, 2013 10:20 PM
  • Because there is the potential to exceed the row limit of Excel when displaying this data in a large environment, we don't have a report for this that can be generated inside of MAP. However, we did create a special database view to be used for this purpose, with the responsibility on the user if they have too many rows. This blog post takes you through manually exporting this data into Excel, then you can use pivot tables or whatever you like to parse the data.

FYI, in MAP 8, the view name has changed to [UT_WinServer_Reporting].[InstalledProductsView]

Edit Update: This is the link to the blog - Planning for Desktop Virtualization with the MAP toolkit 7.0 (4 of 4)

Thursday, January 24, 2013 11:06 PM
  • This is great, thank you!

Best wishes,

Marko

Monday, January 28, 2013 11:24 AM
  • Hi.

Looking at Toolkit 8 (and having followed your link above and glanced at the training kit), am I correct that the toolkit now reports only Microsoft products?

More specifically, that the functionality of Toolkit 7's Hardware and Software Summary (the Application Summary (Windows) tab) is no longer available from the UI or as an exportable report?

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 1:57 PM
  • MAP still discovers and inventories Linux, HP-UX, and VMware, but I'm guessing that you are referring to installed software products. Although we don't currently show the list of applications discovered in the UI, the summary is still in the Windows environment report and the Linux environment report still contains information about the LAMP stack. If you want to manually export the list of applications so that you can see everything MAP discovered per machine, we have an updated blog post that describes how to do that.

How to get a computer by computer view of installed software using the MAP toolkit

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 7:06 PM
  • MAP still discovers and inventories Linux, HP-UX, and VMware, but I'm guessing that you are referring to installed software products. Although we don't currently show the list of applications discovered in the UI, the summary is still in the Windows environment report and the Linux environment report still contains information about the LAMP stack. If you want to manually export the list of applications so that you can see everything MAP discovered per machine, we have an updated blog post that describes how to do that.

How to get a computer by computer view of installed software using the MAP toolkit

Got it. Thanks. Sad to see the UI listing per machine gone.
    Wednesday, February 6, 2013 7:20 PM
  • Hello,

I have another question. Is it possible also to gather information about license type and product key install? By license type I mean OEM, VL, FPP, etc.

Thank you!

Best wishes,

Marko

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 5:55 PM
  • MAP doesn't collect product keys, and as far as adding the collection of this data as a feature in a future release, it is unlikely since it's very problematic. Exposing product keys has potential legal, privacy, and security repercussions that would have to be investigated and vetted thoroughly, a very time consuming process. In addition, I was once told by someone in the Product Key Services group within Microsoft that only the OEM and Retail keys are stored in the registry, and not the VL keys.

Also, MAP doesn't currently have a way to determine license type.

• Marked as answer by MZaletel Sunday, February 24, 2013 8:13 PM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 11:14 PM
  • Thank you!

Best wishes,

Marko

Sunday, February 24, 2013 8:13 PM