none
DPM 2010 and HP MSL2024 / LTO5 tape library - not being detected correctly. RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi Everyone

     

    Just got my DPM 2010 up and running on a HP G5 DL360 server with Server 2008 R2. Everything is working great, except for the tape library. Under libraries it detects the LTO5 as a standalone drive, and not part of the library. Can do nothing with it. Any ideas. I have also applied the latest firmware/drivers to the devices and applied the windows updates to DPM.

    Thursday, March 17, 2011 7:20 AM

Answers

  • Problem was resolved. This is how we fixed it.

     

    Loaded the latest drivers from HP for the Tape Drives and Media Changer Device.

    Hewlett Packard MSL G3 Series library (x64 based) - Driver Provider HP, Driver Date, 3/06/2009, Driver Version 1.9.0.0

    Hewlett Packard LTO Ultrium-5 drive -  Driver Provider HP, Driver Date, 7/10/2010, Driver Version 1.0.6.3

     

    We then "fixed" this file (C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Config\DPMLA.xml) to reflect the correct tape library details...

    The MS link that explains this is http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb795782.aspx

     

    Here is the contents of our DPMLA.xml file. The important bits are the serial numbers and SCSI details... These can be obtained in many ways but we used the HP StorageWorks library and tape tools version 4.12, which presents the SCSI details as...

    HP MSL G3 Series (Address: 2/7/0/1)

        Drive 1: HP Ultrium 50SCSI (Address: 2/7/0/0)

    You can see how this address information plugs into the xml file below...

    =============================

     

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
    - <LAConfig xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/2003/dls/LAConfig.xsd">
    - <DriveReMapInfo IsMannuallyMapped="true">
    - <DriveLibraryAssociation>
      <Drive SerialNumber="HU1xxxxxx0" SCSIPort="2" SCSIBus="7" SCSITargetId="0" SCSILun="0" DriveBayIndex="0" />
      <Library SerialNumber="MXAxxxxxY" SCSIPort="2" SCSIBus="7" SCSITargetId="0" SCSILun="1" />
      </DriveLibraryAssociation>
      </DriveReMapInfo>
      </LAConfig>
    =============================

    After doing that, we opened DPM 2010 and we were able to the the Library and inside it the tape drive, and under that the tapes. We immediately ran some basic tests like a tape clean, and identified tapes and marked them as free.

    'Last nights backup was successful and backed up 1.6TB to one tape. Thats a remarkable improvement over the 6 to 7 LTO3's we had to send off each day!!!

     


    • Marked as answer by SDL007 Thursday, March 17, 2011 11:04 PM
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 10:59 PM

All replies

  • Problem was resolved. This is how we fixed it.

     

    Loaded the latest drivers from HP for the Tape Drives and Media Changer Device.

    Hewlett Packard MSL G3 Series library (x64 based) - Driver Provider HP, Driver Date, 3/06/2009, Driver Version 1.9.0.0

    Hewlett Packard LTO Ultrium-5 drive -  Driver Provider HP, Driver Date, 7/10/2010, Driver Version 1.0.6.3

     

    We then "fixed" this file (C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Config\DPMLA.xml) to reflect the correct tape library details...

    The MS link that explains this is http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb795782.aspx

     

    Here is the contents of our DPMLA.xml file. The important bits are the serial numbers and SCSI details... These can be obtained in many ways but we used the HP StorageWorks library and tape tools version 4.12, which presents the SCSI details as...

    HP MSL G3 Series (Address: 2/7/0/1)

        Drive 1: HP Ultrium 50SCSI (Address: 2/7/0/0)

    You can see how this address information plugs into the xml file below...

    =============================

     

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
    - <LAConfig xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/2003/dls/LAConfig.xsd">
    - <DriveReMapInfo IsMannuallyMapped="true">
    - <DriveLibraryAssociation>
      <Drive SerialNumber="HU1xxxxxx0" SCSIPort="2" SCSIBus="7" SCSITargetId="0" SCSILun="0" DriveBayIndex="0" />
      <Library SerialNumber="MXAxxxxxY" SCSIPort="2" SCSIBus="7" SCSITargetId="0" SCSILun="1" />
      </DriveLibraryAssociation>
      </DriveReMapInfo>
      </LAConfig>
    =============================

    After doing that, we opened DPM 2010 and we were able to the the Library and inside it the tape drive, and under that the tapes. We immediately ran some basic tests like a tape clean, and identified tapes and marked them as free.

    'Last nights backup was successful and backed up 1.6TB to one tape. Thats a remarkable improvement over the 6 to 7 LTO3's we had to send off each day!!!

     


    • Marked as answer by SDL007 Thursday, March 17, 2011 11:04 PM
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 10:59 PM
  • NICE JOB! :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) 

    I had the exact same problem and it solved it in a blink!

    BEFORE

    <DriveLibraryAssociation>
    <Drive SerialNumber="HUxxxxxxGH" SCSIPort="3" SCSIBus="7" SCSITargetId="0" SCSILun="0" DriveBayIndex="0"/>
    <Library SerialNumber="" SCSIPort="-1" SCSIBus="-1" SCSITargetId="-1" SCSILun="-1"/>
    </DriveLibraryAssociation>
    </DriveReMapInfo>
    </LAConfig>

    AFTER

    <DriveLibraryAssociation>
    <Drive SerialNumber="HUxxxxxxGH" SCSIPort="3" SCSIBus="7" SCSITargetId="0" SCSILun="0" DriveBayIndex="0"/>
    <Library SerialNumber="MXxxxxxxHU" SCSIPort="3" SCSIBus="7" SCSITargetId="0" SCSILun="1"/>
    </DriveLibraryAssociation>
    </DriveReMapInfo>


    Tuesday, February 10, 2015 5:56 PM