none
DFS Management The namespace cannot be queried. Access is denied RRS feed

• Question

• Having a problem viewing a single namespace on a single server.  Any thoughts?

ServerA - namespace1 - The namespace cannot be queried.  Access is denied.

ServerA - namespace2 - Works fine

ServerB - namespace1 - Works fine

ServerB - namespace2 - Works fine

ServerC - namespace1 - Works fine

ServerC - namespace2 - Works fine

Any thoughts?

Thanks

John

Friday, November 22, 2019 7:51 PM

All replies

• usually it comes from rights.
    watch this tutorial on
    Manage folder permissions

https://www.chader.fr/en/install-a-dfs-root-server/

Regards

"Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help" "Marquer comme réponse les réponses qui ont résolu votre problème"

• Proposed as answer by Rached Chader Saturday, November 23, 2019 6:30 AM
    Friday, November 22, 2019 8:22 PM
  • Hi,

Check the permissions of the namespace within the DFSRoots folder on ServerA, you can compare the permissions with another server to see if there are any differences.

You can also check the Delegated Management permissions:
    Delegate Management Permissions for DFS Namespaces

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Friday, November 22, 2019 11:22 PM
  • Hi,

How is your situation now?

Based on my understanding , server A/B/C are the dfs namespace servers for both namespace 1 and namespace 2 , right?If i have any misunderstanding ,please let me know.

Did you check the permissions of the namespace within the DFSRoots folder on serverA?

If you have any progress , welcome to share here!

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, November 25, 2019 5:53 AM
  • Compared permissions on ServerA, ServerB and ServerC DFSRoots folder.  They are all exactly the same respectively.

CREATOR OWNER

SYSTEM

Administrators Server#\Administrators

Users Server#\Users

--

I am logged in with a domain admin account onto the server.

RSOP shows full control.

Monday, November 25, 2019 2:47 PM
  • I was able to figure this out.

After using the following 

dfsdiag /testdfsconfig /dfsroot:\\domain.local\namespace

dfsdiag /testdfsintegrity /dfsroot:\\domain.local\namespace

Errors on those commands led me to the following.

1. Old namespace server was still listed - so i connected to ServerB and remove the old server.

2. Registry entries on ServerA where missing for some reason here.  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DFS\Roots\domainV2

Copied reg keys from ServerB to ServerA - and restarted DFSNamespace and then was able to connect to the namespace on ServerA.

Thanks

John

Monday, November 25, 2019 3:09 PM
  • Did you have a namespace with the same name previously? That would indeed explain it... :-)

Monday, November 25, 2019 3:11 PM
  • No - the only changes with this namespace where that we added a few new servers and decommissioned a few old ones.  That was done about a year ago or so.  DFS was working fine and replicating etc - so much that I rarely ever opened DFS Management.  Just happened to need to go in and add another folder which is why I found i couldn't view on ServerA.

This article helped (for anyone else having this issues)

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/josebda/2009/07/15/five-ways-to-check-your-dfs-namespaces-dfs-n-configuration-with-the-dfsdiag-exe-tool/

Monday, November 25, 2019 3:16 PM
  • Removing servers "can" leave leftovers if not properly decommissioned, here's also a KB article on how to proceed: How to manually decommission a root server that hosts a domain-based DFS root in Windows Server 2003

The dfsdiag.exe is a great tool to use for general troubleshooting both DFS Namespace servers and clients connecting to a DFS Namespace, although you would have to copy it to the client to run it.

Monday, November 25, 2019 3:27 PM
  • Hi,dolejh

Good to hear that you have solved this issue . In addition, thanks for sharing your solution in the forum as it would be helpful to anyone who encounters similar issues.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 1:36 AM
  • Follow up to this - for some reason I was not able to access the namespace file path from anywhere other than the same subnet as the server.  ServerA was just acting weird.  I removed it as a namespace server and re-added it.  Seems to be working fine again.  FYI - these are all 2016 servers, that do nothing other than DFS and all identical builds.  Not sure why ServerA is having issues.  Hopefully removing and re-adding it as a namespace server will resolve issue.
    Tuesday, November 26, 2019 3:09 PM
  • Hi,

Welcome to update here if you have any progress.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Fan

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 1:28 AM