none
Rescheduling RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Sir,

I base lined my plan, after 8 months of execution i updated my tasks and I realized my activities are getting delayed and i reschedule them in order to put my plan for good execution. Now my questions are :

• can I do baseline 0 ? 
    • when i do reschedule my existed plan i got some constraints, Is there any way without getting constraints to make a schedule?
    • What is the best report I can show to my management for this reschedule plan?

Thanks,

Venkat

Thursday, January 30, 2014 4:42 PM

Answers

• Venkatrao,

Project has 11 baselines, the basic one and 10 additional. A user can reset the existing baseline for selected tasks (i.e. those that haven't started), or use one of the other baseline fields.

Constraints are generally set when a user manually enters a start or finish date. Ideally, a project plan should have very few constraints, all tasks should be set up in a logic sequence of performance with dependencies, (i.e. valid predecessors), driving the start dates of tasks in the sequence.

With regard to the "best report", it all depends on what your management want/needs to see. There are several built-in reports but I find that the best way to report is to create a view that has the desired data fields, and then print or display that view. In some cases, Project may not be able to show the all the data in a format that you need. In those cases, you could use Visual Reports or for a truly custom report, VBA.

John

• Marked as answer by Venkatrao G Friday, January 31, 2014 4:04 PM
    Thursday, January 30, 2014 6:08 PM

All replies

• Venkatrao,

Project has 11 baselines, the basic one and 10 additional. A user can reset the existing baseline for selected tasks (i.e. those that haven't started), or use one of the other baseline fields.

Constraints are generally set when a user manually enters a start or finish date. Ideally, a project plan should have very few constraints, all tasks should be set up in a logic sequence of performance with dependencies, (i.e. valid predecessors), driving the start dates of tasks in the sequence.

With regard to the "best report", it all depends on what your management want/needs to see. There are several built-in reports but I find that the best way to report is to create a view that has the desired data fields, and then print or display that view. In some cases, Project may not be able to show the all the data in a format that you need. In those cases, you could use Visual Reports or for a truly custom report, VBA.

John

• Marked as answer by Venkatrao G Friday, January 31, 2014 4:04 PM
    Thursday, January 30, 2014 6:08 PM
  • Thanks for your answer.

I rescheduled and saved as baseline 0 for new tasks.

Thanks for clearing constraints doubt. few constraints I manually entered. so it is clear for me.

I used time line view and customized gantt chart view to report my progress.

Thanks.

Venkat.

Friday, January 31, 2014 4:14 PM
  • Venkatrao,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Friday, January 31, 2014 5:33 PM