Wsus Crashing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have reinstall wsus to a new machine.

Windows 2012 r2 + role (no other configuration)

[X] Windows Server Update Services                      UpdateServices                 Installed
        [ ] WID Database                                    UpdateServices-WidDB           Available
        [X] WSUS Services                                   UpdateServices-Services        Installed
        [X] Database                                        UpdateServices-DB              Installed

[X] .NET Framework 3.5 Features                         NET-Framework-Features         Installed
        [X] .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)  NET-Framework-Core             Installed
     X] .NET Framework 4.5 Features                         NET-Framework-45-Fea...        Installed
        [X] .NET Framework 4.5                              NET-Framework-45-Core          Installed
        [X] ASP.NET 4.5                                     NET-Framework-45-ASPNET        Installed
        [X] WCF Services                                    NET-WCF-Services45             Installed
             [X] TCP Port Sharing                            NET-WCF-TCP-PortShar...        Installed

[X] Windows Server Update Services Tools        UpdateServices-RSAT            Installed
                [X] API and PowerShell cmdlets              UpdateServices-API             Installed
                [X] User Interface Management Console       UpdateServices-UI              Installed

Since i have this install (no problème on windows 2008 r2)

wsus crash with a lot of error 

event 12032 : The Server Synchronization Web Service is not working.

event 13042 : Self-update is not working.

event 12002 : The Reporting Web Service is not working.

event 12012 : The API Remoting Web Service is not working.

event 12022 : The Client Web Service is not working.

event 12042 : The SimpleAuth Web Service is not working.

event 12052 : The DSS Authentication Web Service is not working.

event 12072 : 

The WSUS content directory is not accessible.
    System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (503) Server Unavailable.
       at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.HealthMonitoring.HmtWebServices.CheckContentDirWebAccess(EventLoggingType type, HealthEventLogger logger)

event 5002 : Application pool 'WsusPool' is being automatically disabled due to a series of failures in the process(es) serving that application pool.

+ a lot of warning on WAS

i don't find any solution to fix this problem

i need help

tanks

Eric

Friday, November 21, 2014 9:03 AM

Answers

• the db are on a ms sql (2012), the instance and wsus are on the same server

So you got exactly the same result installing WSUS twice, to two different machines, with nothing else installed on those machines.

Why did you install .NET35 on this machine?

Try leaving .NET45 uninstalled. WSUS is a .NET40 application; .NET45 is not needed.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

• Proposed as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Monday, December 1, 2014 2:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Wednesday, December 3, 2014 2:29 PM
    Monday, November 24, 2014 5:44 PM
  • I doubt that WSUS is broken because some extra .NET framework versions are installed. But more things to check... 

• Look in the Application event log to see any unhandled exceptions that might be thrown from WSUS that would point to the error. 
    • Look in the SoftwareDistribution.log to see if there is anything bad going on there. 
    • Make sure that you haven't changed the WSUS application pools in IIS from their defaults (including the .NET Framework Version, account settings, etc. ) 

What other modifications to the server have you done besides installing WSUS? If you're not sure, I'd suggest wiping the OS and reinstalling Windows and WSUS so you know you have a clean slate. 

Sunday, November 30, 2014 7:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I have reinstall wsus to a new machine.

Windows 2012 r2 + role (no other configuration)

[X] Windows Server Update Services                      UpdateServices                 Installed
        [ ] WID Database                                    UpdateServices-WidDB           Available
        [X] WSUS Services                                   UpdateServices-Services        Installed
        [X] Database                                        UpdateServices-DB              Installed

[X] .NET Framework 3.5 Features                         NET-Framework-Features         Installed
        [X] .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)  NET-Framework-Core             Installed
     X] .NET Framework 4.5 Features                         NET-Framework-45-Fea...        Installed
        [X] .NET Framework 4.5                              NET-Framework-45-Core          Installed
        [X] ASP.NET 4.5                                     NET-Framework-45-ASPNET        Installed
        [X] WCF Services                                    NET-WCF-Services45             Installed
             [X] TCP Port Sharing                            NET-WCF-TCP-PortShar...        Installed

[X] Windows Server Update Services Tools        UpdateServices-RSAT            Installed
                [X] API and PowerShell cmdlets              UpdateServices-API             Installed
                [X] User Interface Management Console       UpdateServices-UI              Installed

Since i have this install (no problème on windows 2008 r2)

wsus crash with a lot of error 

event 12032 : The Server Synchronization Web Service is not working.

event 13042 : Self-update is not working.

event 12002 : The Reporting Web Service is not working.

event 12012 : The API Remoting Web Service is not working.

event 12022 : The Client Web Service is not working.

event 12042 : The SimpleAuth Web Service is not working.

event 12052 : The DSS Authentication Web Service is not working.

event 12072 : 

The WSUS content directory is not accessible.
    System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (503) Server Unavailable.
       at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.HealthMonitoring.HmtWebServices.CheckContentDirWebAccess(EventLoggingType type, HealthEventLogger logger)

event 5002 : Application pool 'WsusPool' is being automatically disabled due to a series of failures in the process(es) serving that application pool.

+ a lot of warning on WAS

i don't find any solution to fix this problem

i need help

tanks

• Merged by Steven_Lee0510 Monday, November 24, 2014 2:09 AM duplicate
    Friday, November 21, 2014 9:03 AM
  •     [X] Database                                        UpdateServices-DB              Installed

So.. uh.. where exactly IS the database for the WSUS server?

SolarWinds Head Geek
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Sunday, November 23, 2014 2:32 AM
  • Hi Eric,

As Lawrence has mentioned above, misconfiguration of database may cause this issue.

As a test, please try to install the WID and reconfigure the WSUS to use WID.

Also, please make sure that the content directory is accessable.

Please make sure that the IIS is running properly.

Best Regards.

Steven Lee

TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 24, 2014 3:56 AM
    Monday, November 24, 2014 9:12 AM

So you got exactly the same result installing WSUS twice, to two different machines, with nothing else installed on those machines.

Why did you install .NET35 on this machine?

Try leaving .NET45 uninstalled. WSUS is a .NET40 application; .NET45 is not needed.

SolarWinds Head Geek

Monday, November 24, 2014 5:44 PM
  • I doubt that WSUS is broken because some extra .NET framework versions are installed. But more things to check... 

• Look in the Application event log to see any unhandled exceptions that might be thrown from WSUS that would point to the error. 
    • Look in the SoftwareDistribution.log to see if there is anything bad going on there. 
    • Make sure that you haven't changed the WSUS application pools in IIS from their defaults (including the .NET Framework Version, account settings, etc. ) 

What other modifications to the server have you done besides installing WSUS? If you're not sure, I'd suggest wiping the OS and reinstalling Windows and WSUS so you know you have a clean slate. 

Sunday, November 30, 2014 7:23 AM
  • Hi Eric,

I’m writing to just check in to see if the suggestions were helpful. If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up.

Best Regards

Steven Lee

TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 1, 2014 2:07 PM