none
DPM Modern Storage - Volume to Volume migration RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

How I can migrate replica and recovery points from one Volume to Another? As shown in the example below, I want to migrate data from Volume E:\ to volume G:\

Get-DPMDiskStorage -Volumes

Name          AccessPath Tag             TotalSpace     LogicalUsedSpace
    ----          ---------- ---             ----------     ----------------
    ModernStorage E:\        HyperV          16476366962688
    ModernStorage G:\        SQL, SharePoint 6599015923712

Thanks,

Lachezar

Friday, February 3, 2017 11:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

At this time there is no method to migrate data sources between different modern storage volumes.  This is something that will be added in a future update rollup.  The only thing you can do is remove the data source from protection and delete replica (thus deleting the backups) and re-protect the data source and select a different volume.

Note: Unlike previous version of DPM, DPM 2016 cannot "span" a protected data source across modern backup storage volumes in the storage pool, so always plan your storage pool volumes so they can be extended if needed (Use storage spaces or SAN LUN that can be extended), or don't overload the volume with data sources that have a large growth or change rate if they also have a long recovery point retention period. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, February 3, 2017 4:15 PM
  • Just want to inform that I REALLY need a tool to migrate volume of modern backup storage too :-)

Following the initial Technet documentation, I choose a wrong infrastructure schema. Now that I've read the excellents answers of Mike Jacquet (thank you btw!), I understand why everything is so slow...
    But I've already put some data on these volumes ! And now I'm unable to change this...

Hope we'll see this on next UR :-)

Regards

Monday, February 6, 2017 7:24 AM
  • Hi Mike,

I'm using Azure Backup Server, I currently have a ticket raised (118022017674842)

with MS support on the MABS team.

I also have this same issue albeit referring to MABS and not DPM 2016. I've been asked to talk to you via this method rather than through the ticketing system to attempt to escalate / expedite an update to MABS to bring it in line with some of the feature of UR4 on DPM2016.  (Mainly at this point i'm interested in migrating Disk storage as described here: https://charbelnemnom.com/2017/10/how-to-move-backup-storage-in-dpm-2016-modern-backup-storage-scdpm-dpm/)

Please can you come back to me on this.

Thanks

Chris

Monday, March 12, 2018 3:33 PM
  • Hi Chris,

Unfortunately I do not know when the next update that will include that feature will be released.  Few options are:

1. Reduce the retention period so older recovery points get pruned to make room for new ones.
    2. If your MABS storage is  on a SAN – extend the san lun, then extend the ReFs volume.
    3. Add more storage on the MAB Server, then stop protection of the largest data source and delete the replica, but maintain the Azure online backups. Then re-protect the data source and choose the new storage pool volume.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 3:46 PM
  • Hi Mike,

1. I only have 3 days retention period as it is on disk so I don't want to reduce this any further

2. It is on a SAN, and doing what you have suggested is what I have been doing but half of the volumes are on a SAN that I can't expand any more.. Therefore I have created new volumes on a different SAN, but this means I have to do step 3, which leads me to step 3

3. This is what I am being forced to do and have been doing.  If I have a 500 GB SQL database for example - re creating the initial replica yet again - is a massive pain, and it has some impact on live.

to be honest, I've had quite a hard time with MABS since installing it, I've gone from it being on 2012 to Win 2016 so I can use REFS storage as per a support recommendation,  but this ability to move storage around was lost at this point (previously worked via powershell).  This inability is just one of the frustrations I've had along the way!

Anyway - thanks for replying to my post.  So - do you or anybody know anything of upcoming updates for MABS? There were also a number of bugs fixed in UR4 which might help me and others also?

Thanks

Chris

Friday, March 16, 2018 12:06 PM