none
DPM2012 Adding Tape Library from a remote system RRS feed

• Question

• Scenario: DPM installed on virtual machine "vServer1", SAN attached Tape Library attached to server "Server2".

How do I get DPM on vServer1 to see the Tape Library on Server2?

Software/Configuration, I can't seem to find anything for this kind of task.

Figure Either I'm using the wrong look-up terminology, or DPM Server has to be installed on Server2. I don't like option 2 because I want to manage my backups from a VM.

Any simple answers?

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 7:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

There is no way to make that happen currently, you would need a iscsi tape library so the DPM server running in a VM could attach to it.  In Windows 8 (2012)  Hyper-V will include a synthetic Fiber adapter that you could use to attach to the SAN library.  However, DPM does not support sharing tape libraries with any other application (only between DPM servers) , so you would either need to dedicate it DPM, or hardware partition it and let DPM use one partition and the 3rd party app the other. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, June 28, 2012 12:23 AM
  • Hi Mike,

I realise this is an old thread, but being in a similar situation,changed the solution now and  like to know if the below works and is supported?

Windows 2012 Server with Hyper-V enabled and with DPM installed on it.

Tape Library Attached to the Hyper-V/DPM server

Can I also host any VM's on the Hyper-V/DPM box? (Looking to host a secondary AD server and a couple of other VM's).

I understand DPM+AD cannot be co-located, but in my scenario, it's a VM running on a DPM server!

TIA

PN

• Edited by SySInCloud Wednesday, March 20, 2013 5:32 PM DPM HyperV
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 5:08 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, as long at DPM is DPM 2012 Sp1 (which supports running on Windows 2012) and the Hyper-V host is NOT clustered (IE it's a standalone Hyper-V server) then your configuration will work.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by SySInCloud Thursday, March 21, 2013 11:47 AM
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 5:42 PM