Logical disk free space - Script dependency questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys, I worked with SCOM a long time ago and found that the logical disk management pack appears to utilize defrag.exe to collect a lot of its data.  The main piece I'm concerned about is the logical disk free space dashboards and related data reports. 

Here's a link to my old post regarding defrag.exe utilization:

• https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/systemcenter/en-US/67b5f648-b68b-4c12-bc38-b88d1fcdb49f/scom-failed-to-start-a-process-logical-disk-checks

Anyway, I was hoping for an explanation and guidance on a two important issues:

1) Why does the management pack utilize the output from defrag.exe to get the free space of the disk?  (If I'm wrong, just say so. I don't understand how the MP is written to be completely honest).

2) We have some really large logical disks (3TB+) and no data is reported in any of the dashboard views for logical disk free space.  All other servers report properly -- just not our larger systems.  I'm thinking that defrag analysis seems to hit some kind of max-time limit.  It takes an extremely long time to run defrag "vol" /a even normally. Any suggestions on how troubleshoot missing logical disk data?

Infrastructure background: All systems are running on an Enterprise level 3par array with 70+ disks and blade virtual infrastructure. The disk infrastructure isn't overloaded, and is performing normally for response times. 

Example warning error:

The process started at 4:01:15 PM failed to create System.PropertyBagData. Errors found in output:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Monitoring Agent\Agent\Health Service State\Monitoring Host Temporary Files 1\4150\CollectLogicalDiskStatistics.vbs(94, 9) (null): Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Command executed: "C:\Windows\system32\cscript.exe" /nologo "CollectLogicalDiskStatistics.vbs" false
    Working Directory: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Monitoring Agent\Agent\Health Service State\Monitoring Host Temporary Files 1\4150\
    One or more workflows were affected by this. 
    Workflow name: Windows.LogicalDrives.CollectFreeSpace.Rule
    Instance name: C:

This is from a system where disk defrag service is enabled. For clarity, I just mean the windows service NOT the automated defragmentation and analysis that SCOM can do.

• Edited by Shaddie Thursday, November 19, 2015 8:31 PM
    Thursday, November 19, 2015 8:17 PM

Answers

• In my experience, i use Windows Server MP for collecting logical disk free space which just use windows performance counter to capture free disk space. Please provide detail information about your suspicion logical disk Management pack such as it download place such that i can study it.
    roger
    • Marked as answer by Shaddie Friday, November 20, 2015 8:14 PM
    Friday, November 20, 2015 3:59 AM

All replies

• In my experience, i use Windows Server MP for collecting logical disk free space which just use windows performance counter to capture free disk space. Please provide detail information about your suspicion logical disk Management pack such as it download place such that i can study it.
    roger
    • Marked as answer by Shaddie Friday, November 20, 2015 8:14 PM
    Friday, November 20, 2015 3:59 AM
  • Wow, I guess sometimes it is the simplest answers.  This was caused by an extra management pack that I imported so I could have some nice logical disk views. I guess it collected its own datawarehouse information. It was so well done I thought it was the official MP. 

Anyway, thank you Roger!

Friday, November 20, 2015 8:14 PM