Vista Auto Rebooting RRS feed

• Question

• My computer checked out to be vista compatable so I put a clean install on my SATA HD (keeping XP Pro on my PATA drive for backup). The first time it boots up all the way through after install it will work. Then if your lucky after a restart/shutdown it will work one more time if you go to "Last Known Good Configuration". Now everytime I try to boot into Vista as soon as the loading bar screen flashes it crashes and reboots. In safe mode it gets to crcdsk.sys and stops. I had heard some people having similar issues with ASUS Boards (mine is a MSI 865PE Neo3) that fixed it by updating their BIOS. I flashed my BIOS (AMI) with the last update (from late 2005), and still no luck. I would really hope that I didn't just waste all that money on Vista for it not to work.

PC Specs:

LGA 775 P4 3.0GHz 64 Bit

1GB Dual Channel DDR 3200

80GB SATA HD (Windows Vista...not working)

19GB PATA HD (Windows XP Pro)

865PE Neo3 MSI Board

Sunday, February 18, 2007 4:40 AM

All replies

• Hmm seems like you have the same problem as me.

after getting through the dam "0x80070241" error (which i figured how to bypass) i get the error ur describing... right before it boots into vista my comp just crashes and restarts itself... and it never stops restarting... so i had to revert back to XP.

specs.

pentium 4 3.2Ghz

160 gb hardrive

raedeon9600se graphics card

512 ram

and a Gigabyte mother board.

i would really love to see aero and someone help me with this problem.

thanks in advance.

ed.

Sunday, February 18, 2007 5:50 AM
  • Sorry to hear your in the same boat, but at least I know I am not the only one. I think over the period of the day I have installed Vista about 7 times. I could just install it again and never shut off my PC after it does its one good "first time" boot up. Thing is the first Vista beta build I messed with worked, then the last 2 had this same issue. I had prayed that they had it fixed by final release. Hopefully they know something I don't and I won't have wasted a large chunk of change.

Thing is it seems to progressively get worse. Each install I have to restart more and more to get it to keep installing (it will do the same thing rebooting at the loading screen). Luckily I have 2 hard drives and I can keep XP Pro on this one while I pull my hair out trying to get vista working on my primary SATA HD. I have been doing Google searches for "Vista Reboots at Loading Screen" and other related searches, I guess I will try to search for crcdsk.sys. Since that is the last file it loads..... hope for both our sakes they figure this out. The real oddball is that it worked a few times when I tried to install it on this HD (the regular Parallel) .Help anyone?

Sunday, February 18, 2007 6:10 AM
  • no, my problem is... i dont even get a good boot up... after it is done installing it goes "running windows for the first time" and then it just restarts and keeps on doing so... cant seem to do anything but revert back to xp,

so i dont even get to the desktop, which kinda sucks as all i want to do with vista is see aero in action.

hope you somehow resolve your problem.

ed.

Sunday, February 18, 2007 6:15 AM
  • It could be related.... who knows... I just haven't had this many issues installing an OS. Not 3.1, 95, 98SE, or XP.
    Sunday, February 18, 2007 6:18 AM
  • i have had no trouble installing XP profesional, but everything changed when i tried to get vista up, first i spend 3 days looking for a solution to the "windows cant find file 0x800(someothernumbers i cant rem,ember) error and now this... this one dosnt seem fixable (im no tech genious)

but for all you people who still are stuck at the 0x800 error http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1240155&SiteID=17 

solution is there.

ed.

Sunday, February 18, 2007 6:22 AM
  • I keep looking back to my BIOS and the fact I am installing on a SATA drive. I have a feeling flashing my BIOS isn't actually updating it.... On the other hand I hope it isn't because of my SATA drive, and its some easy solution I am over looking. Best of luck to you in getting your issue fixed.
    Sunday, February 18, 2007 6:27 AM
  • Now its telling me NTLDR is missing... I have heard people having issues with Vista saving over XP's file, but not vice versa....
    Sunday, February 18, 2007 8:40 AM
  • mmmm turns out my endless boot cycle was caused by a program called "sptd.sys" located in c:/windows/system32/drivers

it is from daemon tools and somehow screws ur system causing it to endlessly restart

i changed a setting so the comp shows a error page instead of restarting when it crashes

and that error showed up.

so now im installing vista for the 7th time... and after 4 days im hoping it will work. (ive deleted that file and now im hoping for the best)

o yer Draider90 press f8 when it is booting up and choose "do not restart if Os crashes" (or something like that) and then find out whats wrong and if its the same prob as me.

boot from the disc and go to repair and go to the command prompt and type "c:" then "cd\wiindows\system32\drivers" then type "del stpd.sys" and it should be wiped.

hope this works for me. and for you to.

ed.

Sunday, February 18, 2007 11:59 AM
  • Considering I installed Vista from an ISO on my other HD using Daemon tools this is probably it. I will try it out and let you know.
    Sunday, February 18, 2007 4:50 PM
  • I couldn't find that driver file on my Vista HD, only my XP HD. I still removed it to see what would happen just for kicks, and of course it didn't do anything. I tried starting up Vista without "Reboot after failure" (I had tried many times earlier too) and it keeps rebooting anyway, no error screen etc. The weird thing is when I have BIOS recognizing both HD's it will flash to the loading bar screen then reboot. If I change the BIOS to SATA only, it will say missing NTLDR and stop. My only other idea is that installing it from an ISO on XP (using Daemon Tools) to another HD is messing something up.
    Sunday, February 18, 2007 5:26 PM