none
Is it possible to give specific tasks priority on specific resources RRS feed

• Question

• Say I have 8 depots.  Each depo has resources.  Between 3 and 18 people.

I have tasks that are assigned to closest depot.  But if there are not enough people at the depot to do the work, I will pull from available people at different depots.

Is there a way to give priority to tasks at a person's depot before scheduling out other tasks?

Monday, November 19, 2012 3:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

"Priority" is somethingProject only uses when you use Resoure Leveling.

If you do, the answer to yur question is yes. When you assign "foreign" resources to a task in a depot, put the priority for these tasks lower that the default 500. Then when you level these tasks willbe scheduled later.

Greetings,

Monday, November 19, 2012 5:40 PM
  • yes, I am trying to level the resources.

I think you are saying assign the task a lower priority.

But that isn't exactly what I am looking for.

I need the depot's resources to be assigned to their depot's tasks first.

Then left over tasks would be assigned out.

Somehow can only "foreign" resources be assigned some tasks lower priority.  And give those specific resources higher priority to higher priority?

Maybe by doing sub-projects?  Or some other tricky way?

thanks

Monday, November 19, 2012 6:00 PM
  • Hi,

Priorities are on tasks, not on resources or assignments. And you will have to set these priorities yourself - Project never changes that field, sorry.

Greetings,

Monday, November 19, 2012 6:30 PM
  • Whatever you do, I think you'll be juggling resources. There isn't a way to prioritise the assignment of resources to a task. It's quite a way short of what you're looking for but you could:

• Set up a custom resource text field with a multi-layer lookup table for location (Region.State.City kind of deal). Flag the field as one for matching resources. Classify all relevant resources by their city/depot.
    • When you need to replace an overallocated resource on a task, use the Match function from Build Team from enterprise. This will pull people from the same depot.
    • If there's nobody with availability at that depot, use the customise filters dialog on the Build Team from enterprise pane and trim off the trailing depot. Hit Apply and you get the people at the next level up (state) listed.

Obviously very manual but possibly somewhere near what you're looking for.

Monday, November 19, 2012 6:49 PM
  • Hi,

I don't have the impression the poster is in a Server environment, hence I don't think he has access to Build team from enterprise :-((

Greetings,

Monday, November 19, 2012 7:38 PM
  • I guess I will have to manually schedule.

thanks

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 5:34 PM
  • Yes, pity.
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 5:52 PM
  • Experimenting a bit further - and still a long way from anything automatic - you can still use a resource classification method to make things a little easier even without Project Server.

• Specify Depot as a local resource outlook code with the Region.State.Depot structure and values set for all the depot resources.
    • Assign your preferred (nearest depot) resources to tasks without paying attention to overallocation.
    • Use a split screen with Resource Usage in the upper pane and Gantt Chart in the lower. Use Depot as the grouping parameter in the upper (Resource Usage) panel.
    • As you scroll the upper panel it should be obvious where the overallocations are - and the nearby resources are listed adjacently because of the grouping. Use the lower panel to 'Replace Resource.'
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 7:22 PM