none
Failed Tape Library (now replaced with alternate) - Tapes inside still included in tape report as Ready for Offsite RRS feed

• Question

• Our tape library failed and we ended up replacing the library without it ever coming back online. We removed the tapes still loaded inside it when it failed and sent the tapes offsite.

In order to clear the failed tape library from DPM Management, we removed all disk based replicas that were copied to the failed tape library and updated the Protection Groups to reference the new library. There is no longer any reference to the failed tape library in the DPM Management window.

However, our tape report still shows the tapes in the failed library as Ready for Offsite.

I am recalling the tapes that were in the old library to load them into the new library in the hope that DPM will see the tapes are now present in a different library and clear the Ready for Offsite from the report when I remove them.

Is this correct or do I need to do something nitty gritty?

Friday, December 5, 2014 4:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,

That should work - once the tapes are loaded in the new library and an inventory is completed, then DPM should recognize them as the original tapes and show them offsite ready. Now when you remove them from the new library, the tapes should no longer show on the tape report.

NOTE: You may need to wait until summary manager job runs at midnight before the tape report is updated.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, December 6, 2014 5:02 AM

All replies

• Hi,

That should work - once the tapes are loaded in the new library and an inventory is completed, then DPM should recognize them as the original tapes and show them offsite ready. Now when you remove them from the new library, the tapes should no longer show on the tape report.

NOTE: You may need to wait until summary manager job runs at midnight before the tape report is updated.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, December 6, 2014 5:02 AM
  • Loaded the outstanding tapes back into new library where they displayed as expired. I marked them all as free and removed from the library. The tape report no longer displays them as outstanding.

Thanks.

Monday, December 8, 2014 12:30 PM