Vista installation on RAID 1 boots into black ycreen w flashing cursor RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to install Vista Ultimate x64 on a RAID 1.

The installation works just fine but after the required reboot all I get is a black screen with a flashing cursor.

In Detail:

My System:

CPU:AMD Athlon II X4 635, 2,9 GHz

Mainboard: Foxconn A7GM-S 2.0 features AMD RAID controller

RAM: 8GB DDR2

Drives:

HDD: 2x Western Digital WD7500AALX-009BA0 S-ATACapacity: 750 GB

iOmega REV-Drive

Optical Drive: TSST Corp CD-.RW/DVD-ROM TS-H493B

OS (to install): Vista Ultimate x64

What I´ve done:

I am setting up the RAID, using to identical WD 750 GB HDs.

The mainboard I use has a built-in RAID.

I connect the HDs to the mainboard, boot the system up, hit DEL to enter the BIOS-menu.

Under Integrated Perepherials-->IDE Configuration I set the OnChip SATA Type  to RAID, then save&exit.

On bootup, I enter the now enabled RAID contoller´s menu and set up the RAID 1. Save&Exit

On bootup, the RAID controller now correctly lists all drives connected to the mainboard, including the newly created RAID 1.

The status of the RAID1 is given as "functional".

I use gParted to create two partitions. One roughly 100GB, one roghly 550 GB. The rest is left unpartitoined for a later linux install.

Now I let my system boot from a USB-stick containing Vista Ultimate.

(I have to do it like that because it won´t work using the DVD -long story. Legit copy, thogh. No download, no msdnaa, etc either)

Included on the stick are the RAID drivers as they came with the mainboard. (As a matter of fact I put all mainboard drivers in a designated folder on the stick.)

Windows install then boots up and runs fine.

At some point I´m asked to point to the RAID drivers, which I do.

The drivers are identified, accepted and loaded.

After that I am prompted to select the partition to install Vista to.

I select the first partition.

Install continues to copy and extract etc. then annaounces it´s going to reboot and reboots.

When The system is down, I quickly pull the USB stick.

The system comes back up.

Bios and the RAID Controller behave perfectly normal - all statements are as given above.

Now I would expect to see the Vista staus bar or anything like it but all I get is a black screen and a blinking cursor.

After blinking a few times in the top left corner, the cursor moves down one line and remains there.

I left the system running for 10 minutes at least - no changes.

When I reinstall Vista (Boot via USB and install) it says that there is already a Vista instalation present.

Can anyone help?

I´ve been trying and searching all day now.

Thanks!

Saturday, March 12, 2011 7:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It seems the installation had not even start.

At this point, I suggest try to replace with another DVD drive as I see somewhere else that the USB could issue problems.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, March 18, 2011 10:45 AM