How can we migrate our sub collections with devices in them? RRS feed

• Question

• Hya,

From what I have read you can only migrate your top level collections with devices in them.

we have sub collections and sub collections of them with devices in them in our SCCM 2007 environment.

what is the best approach to migrate all devices etc?

cheers Mike

Tuesday, April 1, 2014 5:40 PM

Answers

All replies

• Subcollections have been replaced by folders in 2012 (as they were mainly used for organisational purposes).

Subcollections could also be used to control the expansion of a deployment. You can now use "include" and "exclude" collection rules

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

Tuesday, April 1, 2014 6:12 PM
  • No, that's incorrect. The migration process will simply migrate the collections and set their limiting collection to the collection's migrated parent from the 2007 site. Collections with no members will be turned into folders.

Do note that you cannot migrate resources/devices though. You are effectively re-installing the agent on managed systems which has nothing to do with any collections or their memberships.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Tuesday, April 1, 2014 6:52 PM
  • ok.

so am I right in thinking, if we migrate the collections and sub collections. the structure will be maintained and the parent folder or top level will have devices in them but the sub collections which then use the top level collections as their limiting collection will be empty?

if so do we then have to rerun queries etc to repopulate the lower level collections?

cheers Mike

Tuesday, April 1, 2014 10:42 PM
  • No, not really. There's no such thing as lower level/sub-collections in 2012. There are only top level collections.

Here's a good post from Kent that describes what happens: http://blog.coretech.dk/kea/migrating-collections-from-configuration-manager-2007-to-configuration-manager-2012-beta-2/

As for repopulating them, that all depends upon the query but they will be empty until you "migrate" the resources by upgrading their client agent.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

• Proposed as answer by Juke Chou Wednesday, April 2, 2014 9:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Monday, May 5, 2014 3:55 PM
    Wednesday, April 2, 2014 1:22 AM
  • Michael,

I just went through this myself. 

In CM07 I had Collection1, with Computers in it. SubCollection1 with computers in it.

When you migrate this to CM12 you get:

Collection1 at the Root of Device Collections.

SubCollection1 in a Folder under Device Collections called Collection1

A new Collection at the Root of Device Collections called Migrated collection Collection1 and sub-collections.

If Collection1 was an empty collection, you get:

SubCollection1 in a Folder under Device Collections called Collection1

As far as what's the best approach? We decided that we would pull the collections in and then reorganize and move the collections once it was in CM12. Effectively flattening out our previous collection model. 

We have 2247 collections that we moved into CM12. 

Thursday, April 3, 2014 5:24 PM