Taskbar - Address Bar annoying malfunction RRS feed

• Question

• I have what I would call a minor issue with the Address Bar enabled on my Windows 7 Taskbar.

Sometimes when I try to go to a mapped drive location by typing it in the address bar, it fails.  The error produced is something simple, like Windows cannot access this location.

What's really maddening about this is I can open "Computer" and type the same location in that address bar, and it works as it should.  This issue will persist until I shut down and restart the computer, or at minimum SOMEtimes it goes away if I simply log out and log back in.  I would like to chalk this up as a issue with the drive not being mapped, but then it should not work from the address bar in an open explorer window either, and it does.

For example, I type G:\jobs\2013\21359 and hit enter, and a window opens up to that mapped drive:\folder.  This works as it should most of the time, but sometimes it fails when entered from the Taskbar-based Address bar, but never fails to work from a Windows Explorer-based Address bar.

Has anyone else experienced this?  I'm not finding this problem described anywhere when I search the internet.

Friday, June 13, 2014 1:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I never heard and encounter this problem you descript, I also make a test in my test enviroment, no problem. While for your situation, I had a suggestion. You can try to use Process Monitor to capture the process of explorer access network mapped drive, if it encounter access deny problem, you would found the reason by using Process Monitor.

Process Monitor: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, June 16, 2014 8:43 AM
  • 

Attached is a screenshot of the message. Running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

More clues: running MS Office Outlook 2007.  Outlook is typically one of the first programs I start, and I have noticed the problem seems to happen (only?) if I try to use the Windows Explorer address bar on the taskbar after starting Outlook.  Also note that another mapped drive (j:) works just fine.  I see a history for G:, and an icon that indicates it's connected, but it won't go there or to any of it's subfolders if I try from that taskbar only.  The drive is connected, works 100% correctly navigating to it using any other method; just won't go there from the windows explorer taskbar address bar for this entire session!

procmon.exe downloaded and ran but I see no interface for it.  trying to execute it again fails.  I'm not sure where to look for it when running.  I went to event viewer and checked the application and system logs, and I don't see much to go on there, although there was this error in the application log I found disturbing.

wuaueng.dll (892) SUS20ClientDataStore: The version store for this instance (0) has reached its maximum size of 32Mb

• Edited by Userlevel6 Friday, June 20, 2014 1:03 PM
    Friday, June 20, 2014 12:58 PM
  • Just logged off and back on, and the problem disappears.  Did it twice, ran Outlook before trying to navigate to G:\ again, and there was no problem.

I have my computer set to turn itself on automatically before I arrive for work.  It may sit waiting for a first login for 5 or 10 minutes.  I don't know if that's a clue also or not.

Friday, June 20, 2014 1:09 PM
  • According to the caputer, the mapped G drive should not be mapped when this problem occures? and you can try to access G drive through Explorer for test.

To resolve this problem, you can try to remapped G drive for test.

Roger Lu

Monday, June 23, 2014 6:09 AM
  • 
    Thursday, June 26, 2014 12:20 PM
  • 
    Thursday, June 26, 2014 12:21 PM
  • Hi,

For this problem, I made a test using Process Monitor to monitor its activity of open folder through address bar.

In its process, it would query the path firstly, such as QueryFile C:\ABC. In the end, it would have a operation:CloseFile C:\ABC.

Therefore, it would be better to use Process Monitor to capture its activity if there is something wrong.

Hope it helpful.

Roger Lu

Friday, June 27, 2014 9:44 AM
  • Apparently, the ProcessMonitor download (7/2014) is incompatible with my Windows 7 pro 64-bit.  It doesn't start, and Windows compatibility troubleshooter says it isn't going to.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a bananna.

• Edited by Userlevel6 Tuesday, August 26, 2014 5:41 PM
    Tuesday, August 26, 2014 5:40 PM