AD Account get locked out when accessing a certain sub site RRS feed

• Question

• We have two users that are able to connect into our global intranet site and conduct business as usual.  But for some reason when they connect to a certain sub site that they have right too they connect in work with the site for awhile and get locked out.  The next time they try and access the site they get access denied.  We remove their account from the site and re-add it and it works for a short period of time and it happens again, locked out that is.  We have had them clear their IE cache, reset their AD password, use another machine and it still happens.  Any idea why this would happen?
    Friday, June 3, 2011 1:24 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

Which version of sharepoint are you using? Sharepoint 2007?

As you have mentioned that when you readd the users to the group the issue get resolved for a while so how it is related to any kind of locked out?

I suggest you to enable verbose mode of logging while accessing the site so that when this issue occurs maximum details will be captured.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

Saturday, June 4, 2011 4:01 AM
  • Hi Jeff,

It sounds like there might be an issue with the Active Directory that is causing this anomaly. Please check the AD environment and SharePoint diagnostic logs.

hth,

Chirag Patel, MCTS
    Blog: techChirag.com
    Twitter: @techChirag
    Sunday, June 5, 2011 10:25 PM
  •  

Hi,

From your narration, it seems that the account wasn’t locked. If an account is locked out, he/she can’t log into the Active Directory, you need to unlock this user. Remove and re-add it into the SharePoint group doesn’t work.

Have a look at the Account Lockout and Management Tools available on the Microsoft Download Center. Specifically LockoutStatus.exe and EventCombMT.exe. You can use this tool to find more clues.

Did other users can access the problematic subsite? Such as the site administrator?

If not, please check if you enable site collection lock option?

For more information about site quotas and locks, please refer to the following article:

Manage site quotas and locks

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263050(office.12).aspx

Finally, if you have ever checked “Remember password” while accessing SharePoint.  If you change corp. password after that computer will try to authenticate using old password & your account will get locked.

To removed old saved network passwords

Go to START > RUN.

Type the following:

rundll32.exe keymgr.dll,KRShowKeyMgr

This will show a window that shows stored credentials

Remove any existing entries.

Restart the system. Try accessing the SharePoint.

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/Server_Software/File_Servers/Active_Directory/Q_24483547.html

Thanks,

Rock Wang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Regards, Rock Wang Microsoft Online Community Support
    Monday, June 6, 2011 3:02 AM
  • Hi,

Did you resolve your question? If anything is unclear, feel free to let me know.

Thanks,

Rock Wang

Friday, June 10, 2011 3:12 AM
  • I have a user from Belgium that connects to our global intranet daily.  The Belgium AD environment just went through an whole restructure of accounts which required us to run the migrate user tool on all accounts.  Since that happened everyone is working fine other than one user.  This user connect to the primary site collection, is able to browse around but when he hits this one site within that same site collection he gets access denied.  He is part of the visitors group.  Apprently, his account gets locked out and has to be re-enabled.  Once it's re-enabled he can browse the site he was getting access denied before and accesses everything just fine.  24 hours later he can't access the site any longer.  Does anyone understand why this would happen? 
    • Merged by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, June 15, 2011 6:11 AM same poster had open, live thread on same subject
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 8:48 PM
  • Hi,

I saw you posted a similar question in the following link, please use the steps I provided to narrow down the issue:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointadmin/thread/d5ddaab9-9e5d-48c5-9181-0e6891f61f69

In addition, please check if the subsite inherit permission from its parents. If so, please re-inherit permission from its parent site, then check the effect.

Thanks,

Rock Wang

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 3:02 AM
  • Sharepoint 2007 cumulative update version
    12.0.0.6520 October Cumulative 2009

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 4:17 PM
  • I tried everything you said with still no luck.
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 4:21 AM
  • So what is going on? My password is the same! Let me know ASAP K!!!! Susan
    Saturday, July 21, 2012 9:11 PM