none
importing and displaying numerical data into office project RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am quite new to project. Currently, I am creating a project from historical data whereby i know the following:

task name

start date 

end date

daily metres completed.

So i am trying to make a gantt chart from the start date to the end date. For each of the days, i wish to annotate the metres completed for the day?

22/7 23/7 24/7

73.00m       57.00m       48.50m     

Is this possible. The data is currently in excel?

thanks

Sunday, December 6, 2015 3:23 PM

All replies

• malflink,

Is it possible? Yes. Is it necessarily easy? No.

First of all understand that the less data imported into Project, the better. Ideally, the task description (task Name), duration, and dependency links between tasks is all that Project requires to create a schedule. In your case you wish to import the task name, start and finish and that will work but the dates in Excel must be in either text or date format if you want to use the Import Wizard of Project. In addition, Excel dates are based on a 24 hour clock (i.e. 12/7/15 is actually 12/7/15 12:00:00 AM) whereas Project dates are based on a working time calendar (i.e. 12/7/15 is actually 12/7/15 8:00:00 AM) so the results you get with a direct import may not be quite what you want.

Further, the import wizard will not import timescaled data. In other words, you will not be able to directly import the daily metrics. You will either have to manually enter that data into Project or use a copy and paste into one of Usage views, (i.e. Resource or Task), after the basic data is in Project.

Another option for getting data from Excel to Project is with a VBA macro. The main advantage of using VBA is that it is totally flexible and is able to import timescaled data.

The best method to use depends on how much data you have in Excel and whether you need to import on a periodic basis. If you have a lot of data but you only need to do it once, (i.e. once all your data in in Project you will work exclusively with Project from there on out and not continue to import from Excel), either use the Wizard for the basic data and then edit as necessary or use copy and paste. However, if the import process is something you will need to do on a regular basis, a macro will be the best approach in my opinion.

John

Sunday, December 6, 2015 4:46 PM